• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair Falling Out When Switching Brands of MB12

shannah

I've been taking Country Life 5,000 mcg MB12 and Solgar Methylfolate 2,400 mcg 4 x a day for a while now. Can't say I notice much of a difference but am persevering for now.

I just recently am trialling 5,000 Source Naturals MB12 as a replacement for the Country Life and within 2 or 3 days, my hair is falling out quite significantly.

Obviously something is different. The formulation? The strength or effectiveness of the MB12?

I plan to go back on the Country Life but meantime I'm not sure what this is indicating. Anybody know?

I'm also not sure what to do about it. Increase the folate? Anybody know?

Thanks

ahmo

Your B12 is stronger than what you had been taking. I'm using B12 drops mixed into lotion to apply transdermally. I've found that one drop too many creates hair loss within a couple hours. For me, increasing the folate creates too much of a burden on adrenals, and seems to not be the point. Rather, I lower my B12 dose the next time, and all is well.

Gondwanaland

You might be running out of bioavailable iron or copper due to increased RBC synthesis caused by B12 intake. It could also be that you are low in some other B vitamin, or even vitamin A which transports iron.

Other causes for hairfall are too much histamine (inflammation) and low thyroid.

shannah

Your B12 is stronger than what you had been taking. I'm using B12 drops mixed into lotion to apply transdermally. I've found that one drop too many creates hair loss within a couple hours. For me, increasing the folate creates too much of a burden on adrenals, and seems to not be the point. Rather, I lower my B12 dose the next time, and all is well.

Thanks @ahmo - I'll try lowering the dose by splitting the pill.

For some reason I thought the Source Naturals product wouldn't be as effective as either the Country Life or B12 Infusion. It's helpful to know that the opposite must be true and that it must be stronger.

I'm glad you mentioned the adrenals. Sometimes, mine ache and ache, especially if I seem to be detoxing. Sometimes they burn and that burn extends half way up the back. I've wondered whether or not I might be pushing things sometimes and your comment reinforces that I must be.

Helpful information - thanks again!

shannah

You might be running out of bioavailable iron or copper due to increased RBC synthesis caused by B12 intake. It could also be that you are low in some other B vitamin, or even vitamin A which transports iron.

Other causes for hairfall are too much histamine (inflammation) and low thyroid.

Thanks @Gondwanaland.

Since this problem currently is the result of the switch in brand of B12, as ahmo has suggested, I think it must be having a stronger effect.

I am hypothyroid and take natural dessicated thyroid. I take a good quality multi B and high dose Vitamin A daily with dinner. I'm sure I have histamine issues but haven't been able to get them under control.

Good to know that B12 intake can require additional iron or copper. Looking at iron and copper issues has always seemed like a challenging proposition with the limited cognition I have lately. Perhaps I should look at a good multi vitamin that would include those two minerals though.

Gondwanaland

high dose Vitamin A daily
Excess vitamin A can cause hairfall as well
Perhaps I should look at a good multi vitamin that would include those two minerals though.
Never ever supplement iron without knowing your blood levels (at least iron and ferritin must be known, a complete iron panel is better). I suggest testing for copper as well, however taking low dose copper (~500mcg) paired with at least 10x Zinc (5mg) for a short time (1 week) should be safe if you aren't copper toxic.

shannah

@South

Yes, you're correct. The dosage is the same but different brands often bring noticeable differences such as in this case.