• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quick letter I sent Prof. Stephen Holgate following "Fighting over fatigue"

Tom Kindlon

OK, this didn't take much time and effort so not sure it deserves its own thread. But I wanted to get it off my chest.

(This is a quick letter I sent to Prof. Holgate after reading "Fighting over fatigue": http://mosaicscience.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me )
Subject: "Part of the problem has been that patients have been seeking a single treatment for a single problem"

Dear Prof. Holgate,

I don’t know what the evidence is for this claim:
“Part of the problem has been that patients have been seeking a single treatment for a single problem."

Patients have lots of ideas about what is the problem and what might work and don’t necessarily think that there will be a single treatment that works for everyone.

However, there is a group that this does apply: those who say graded exercise therapy and CBT based on graded exercise therapy is the answer.

Maybe you could reflect on that. This is a clear case where it’s people from the CBT/GET school of thought you should be challenging but instead you attack patients. Why are you doing this?

All the best,

Tom Kindlon

Esther12

I think Holgate really needs to clarify those remarks he made to the journalist. What constitutes harassment? Criticising inaccurate claims by researchers? What Coyne is doing on blog & twitter? Our comments here on Phoenix Rising?

Couldn't agree more. There were a lot of very worrying aspects to Holgate's comments in that article.