• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fight or flight response activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

redward24

[banned as spam]
Hi all,

I have just read a very interesting book on CFS that says it can be cured by turning the fight or flight response back to normal. The book is called 'unravelling CFS/ME' by James Downes, i bought it on amazon kindle and is pretty good. I have started to do some of the things he suggests and it seems to be working really well so far. Have managed to watch more TV than usual, as i usually get really tired doing cognitive stuff and have managed to walk for about 45 mins when i have only been doing 25 mins so far. Fingers crossed this is the cure! Will report back with more!

Denise

According to Amazon, the book was published yesterday.

Wow!
Congratulations on reading it so fast and such quick results.
It will be interesting to see if the results are sustainable.

Skeptics may wonder, since this is your first post and the book came out yesterday, if by chance you are somehow related to the author and are pushing the book...

redward24

[banned as spam]
Its 20 pages long so wasn't particularly challenging haha. Was only a suggestion, you don't have to read it if you don't want to

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
A Google search with James downed and the book title brings up nothing. Not even the Amazon book. The plot thickens

Denise

You have to go to Amazon and use their internal search tool. Some strange neurological impairment is preventing me from placing a link to the book here.

I looked at the Amazon page. $7.00 for a 15 page book.
Now I really want to see those blinded RCT that validate this! Because often I can read those articles for less than that per page price.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My point is, if this author is legit you should be able to find something about him with a Google search.

So how did redward find this book if you have to do crazy stuff on amazon?

I found it on amazon. No where else

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Screen shot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 16

Denise

My point is, if this author is legit you should be able to find something about him with a Google search.

So how did redward find this book if you have to do crazy stuff on amazon?

I found it on amazon. No where else

Not disputing this.
Though I wonder how quickly a newly published book turns up in a Google search.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I know in my case that if I eat any inflammatory foods, like wheat, corn, sugar, vegetable oils, it triggers an anxiety reaction in me. Basically I get butterflies in my stomach which I interpret as being very similar to a "fight or flight" response.

I think often times we attribute psychological issues to something that is really a physical condition. So when you get anxious, you start attaching the feeling of anxiety to any given current emotional issues when in fact it may just be a chemical reaction.

Last edited:

redward24

[banned as spam]
You guys are very suspicious haha. To answer a few of the questions, i actually found the book by typing cfs into amazon as i was looking for products that help cfs. To answer minkeygirls question, the author states that activation of the fight or flight response decreases immune system activity, something i have since researched and is apparently true. Hence the weekend defence to viruses and infections

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Not disputing this.
Though I wonder how quickly a newly published book turns up in a Google search.

Yes but there should be info about this author. His background, where'd he get this theory etc. Even I turn up in Google. It looks like just another guy who has "cured" himself and is trying to make a buck from it.

redward24

[banned as spam]
He could well be some guy who has cured himself. Still, someone who has cured himself is a better option than an author who hasn't that the illness in the first place. Thats just my opinion, feel free to take or leave my suggestion. Was only trying to help, i know its hard to be positive and hopeful is dangerous when we are in the situations we are in but sometimes being suspicious and overly cautious is more so.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I object to the word cured. I prefer recovered

Why would get medical advice from one guy with a theory Who wants to make money off people? Why not share so everyone can benefit from his theory. I'd rather see a doctor who has years in the trenches treating people

This has nothing to do with feeling positive or hopeful. It's about objecting someone with zero credibility trying to make a buck.

I could published an e book saying rat poo cured me. I'd be rich!

Denise

Yes but there should be info about this author. His background, where'd he get this theory etc. Even I turn up in Google. It looks like just another guy who has "cured" himself and is trying to make a buck from it.

Apologies. I misread your post and understood (incorrectly) that it was the book that should turn up in a Google search.

SOC

I think many of us are cautious. Very cautious.
Years of severely disabling illness, decades of minuscule funding levels, years of enduring stigma and disdain, years of diligently trying to get better have made many patients I know VERY cautious.
To say nothing of having to deal with the many people trying to push their own snake oil on desperate, very ill people. We've seen thousands of magical cures, all of which make somebody money and none of which cure, or even help, ME/CFS. Of course we're suspicious of people showing up for the first time to push some new treatment.

This particular theory is very old and has not stood up to time. If it worked, many people would be vastly improved by it in the years (maybe decades) since this was first proposed. There'd be lots of discussion here at PR if this was effective for any significant portion of PWME. It's not like it's new.

@redward24, I'm glad this is working for you. We are all unique, so therapies that may not work for the vast majority of PWME may help some individuals diagnosed with ME/CFS. Hang around and keep us informed how this strategy works out for you over the next year or so. If you continue to improve, I'm sure there will be further discussion and interest.

In the meantime, don't be surprised if people are suspicious of a new person showing up with just one more theory "unravelling ME/CFS". We've seen it all, and we don't easily jump on every bandwagon that comes along anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.