• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pamela Anderson given new antiviral drug which has cured her Hepatitis C.

Jenny

There are several new anti-viral drugs for Hep C which are proving very effective. My husband had Hep C for decades, his liver failed in 2008 and he was lucky enough to get a transplant when he had days to live. A couple of years later it was found that the virus had started to attack the new liver and he was put on a 12 month trial of a new anti-viral. He went through hell on the trial and nearly gave up but it worked. There is still no sign of the virus.

Throughout both experiences he had the most fantastic NHS care at Kings College Hospital London. A huge amount of money is being thrown at these new drugs nationally.

If only......

barbc56

@Jenny

Wow! That's an amazing and uplifting story albeit rough for you both while going through the whole experience. How scary.
Glad this all worked out for you and your husband. Take care.

Barb

I may be misremembering but wasn't there a time when you didn't qualify for a new liver with Hep C?

Jenny

Hi Barb

Thanks for these kind thoughts. I don't know whether there was a time when Hep C patients didn't qualify - but since my husband was diagnosed, about 20 years ago, it was always on the cards that at some point he would be put on the list for a transplant.

barbc56

I just realized I may be thinking about a friends sister in law. She had Hep. C but she was not eligible for a transplant because of alcoholism.

Barb

barbc56

I think I remember Naomi Judd also better. But don't hold me too that.

I had forgotten about that. Here's an article about Naomi Judd's battle with Hep. C. This was written over a year ago so hope she is doing well.I need to find a more recent citation but am in a bit of a time crunch.

Barb

Barb