• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B Cell Depletion treatments

digital dog

Are there any other B cell depletion treatments other than rituximab that are more widely available in the UK?
Are there any other treatments that work similarly?

digital dog

Please forgive my ignorance but is Rituximab licensed in the UK for RA? My father and other family members have RA but this treatment has never been suggested.

helen1

@digital dog

Cyclophosphamide, a chemo drug is mentioned a few times on various threads as being similar to rituximab. Don't know if it's more available in the UK. Apparently, it has a faster onset of effect.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Please forgive my ignorance but is Rituximab licensed in the UK for RA? My father and other family members have RA but this treatment has never been suggested.
It is, but not used automatically. This is from the Arthritis Research UK website:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/rituximab/why-is-it-prescribed.aspx

Why is rituximab prescribed?
Back to Rituximab
Rituximab can be used for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, vasculitis and dermatomyositis. It's also used to treat certain types of cancer.
You'll only be prescribed rituximab if your arthritis is active and you’ve already tried methotrexate and another disease-modifying anti-inflammatory drug (DMARD) such as sulfasalazine or hydroxychloroquine and at least one anti-TNF drug, or if you can’t use these drugs for any reason.
You won’t be prescribed rituximab if:
  • your arthritis isn’t active
  • you’ve not tried other disease-modifying and biological therapies first
  • you’re pregnant or breastfeeding
  • you have an infection.
Your doctor may decide not to prescribe rituximab if:
  • you have severe heart problems
  • you get short of breath very easily
  • your B-cell or antibody levels are low
  • you have seronegative rheumatoid arthritis (with no rheumatoid factor and no anti-CCP antibodies).
- See more at: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/...hy-is-it-prescribed.aspx#sthash.pWJa9Kb7.dpuf

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Rituximab is last chance saloon drug in uk for severe cases of RA.
I think we can improve ourselves without it.

Er, not quite. It is one a several very effective treatments. It comes about half way down the list purely for historical licensing reasons - TNF inhibitors were licensed first so have to be tried first. Rituximab is good treatment for mild progressive RA. It is the biologic drug of choice in countries where TB is common, as in much of Latin America.

msf

That licensing thing is crazy - do they do that in other countries too?