• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

James Coyne to talk in Edinburgh Monday 16 Nov 2015 7pm

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant

A Skeptic looks at the flawed PACE Chronic Fatigue Syndrome study

Lancet Psychiatry recently published a long term follow-up study of cognitive behaviour therapy and graded exercise for chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS). With a well orchestrated publicity campaign, the investigators declared that the follow-up assessment proved the enduring benefits of psychological therapies. As expected, the community of peoplewith ME/CFS vocally objected, but this time they were joined by professionalsfrom around the world. Events are still unfolding, but it appears that there are major changes going on aroundhow we think and talk about ME/CFS and its sufferers. This talk will provide background and discuss the changes that we can expect.

Speaker James C Coyne PhD was the 2015 Carnegie Centenary visiting professor at Stirling University during which he gave Skeptic in the Pub talks at Glasgow and Aberdeen. He was also a keynote speaker at the recent Australian National Skeptics convention in Brisbane on the Pseudoscience of Positive Psychology. He is the author of over 350 articles and has been designated by Web of Science as one of the most cited psychologists and psychiatrists in the world. Blogging at PLOS Mind the Brain and Science-Based Medicine, he regularly challenges bad science in high impactjournals and the media.

See his recent blog post at PLOS Mind the Brain about the flawed PACE ME/CFS trial that shows why results of follow-up study are uninterpretable and investigators' claims the benefits of psychological interventions persisted are untrue. It received over 10,000 visits in in the first week after its posting and the most comments ever of any PLOS blog.http://blogs.plos.org/mindthebrain/...ace-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-follow-up-study/

For the location and time, please see the attached file.

Attachments

• Edin J Coyne 2015 11 16 v2.pdf
    198.3 KB · Views: 74