• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TRIAL BY ERROR: The Troubling Case of the PACE Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study

eafw

I've skimmed it and it looks good. Lots of information in it, we could do with a TL;DR version and some soundbites for the press. Would really like to see other journalists picking up on this story.

Particularly note that QMUL have been putting pressure on Tuller, that they demanded they got to publish a response, that they complained about the way the article was written etc. And these are the people who dare accuse the ME community of "harrassment".

Ecoclimber

A case for deception, lies, inaccuracies, scientific fraud and coverup especially when the QMUL public relations representative falsely accused David Tuller, DrPH for such inaccuracies. The false reporting on recovery has caused incalculable harm to the ME/CFS patient community.

"...Medical and public health journals, conflating the Lancet comment and the PACE study itself, also transmitted the 30 percent “recovery” rate directly to clinicians and others who treat or otherwise deal with ME/CFS patients.

The BMJ referred to the approximately 30 percent of patients who met the “normal range” thresholds as “cured.” A study in BMC Health Services Research cited PACE as having demonstrated “a recovery rate of 30-40%”—months after the PACE authors had issued their “correction” that their paper did not report on “recovery” at all. (Another mystery about the BMC Health Services Research report is the source of the 40 percent figure for “recovery.”) A 2013 paper in PLoS One similarly cited the PACE study—not the Lancet comment—and noted that 30 percent achieved a “full recovery.”

Given that relapsing after too much exertion is a core symptom of the illness, it is impossible to calculate the possible harms that could have arisen from this widespread dissemination of misinformation to health care professionals—all based on the flawed claim from the comment that 30 percent of participants had recovered according to the PACE study’s “strict criterion for recovery.”

And that “strict criterion,” it should be remembered, allowed participants to get worse and still be counted as better.
Tagged as: adaptive pacing therapy, CFS, chronic fatigue syndrome, clinical trial, cognitive behavior therapy, Dave Tuller, exercise, graded exercise therapy, mecfs, myalgic encephalomyelitis, outcome, PACE trial, recovery, therapy

eafw

we could do with a TL;DR version

Actually the last paras of Tuller's piece:

Given that relapsing after too much exertion is a core symptom of the illness, it is impossible to calculate the possible harms that could have arisen from this widespread dissemination of misinformation to health care professionals—all based on the flawed claim from the comment that 30 percent of participants had recovered according to the PACE study’s “strict criterion for recovery.”

And that “strict criterion,” it should be remembered, allowed participants to get worse and still be counted as better.

Sean

Bleijenberg and Knoop, the comment authors, were themselves aware of the challenges faced in calculating accurate “normal ranges,” since the issue was addressed in the 2007 paper they co-wrote with Peter White. In this paper, White, Bleijenberg, and Knoop discussed the concerns related to determining a “normal range” from population data that was heavily clustered toward the healthy end of the scale. The paper noted that using the standard formula “assumed a normal distribution of scores” and generated different results under the “violation of the assumptions of normality.”

Oops. :oops:

wdb

This is worth reposting if you want to see the adult population data he is discussing, notice the huge skew and how 'normal range' (+/- 1 SD) contains closer to 90 percent of the population than the 68 percent it is supposed to.

Copy-of-PACE-Histogram.png

adreno

PR activist
First, some comments: When Virology Blog posted my very, very, very long investigation of the PACE trial two weeks ago, I hoped that the information would gradually leak out beyond the ME/CFS world. So I’ve been overwhelmed by the response, to say the least, and technologically unprepared for my viral moment. I didn’t even have a photo on my Twitter profile until yesterday.
From the sound of this, it looks as though Tuller feels he have had a positive reaction to his articles. This is a good thing! Imagine if it became fashionable to criticize PACE and BPS...

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
This is worth reposting if you want to see the adult population data he is discussing, notice the huge skew and how 'normal range' (+/- 1 SD) contains closer to 90 percent of the population than the 68 percent it is supposed to.

View attachment 13473
Thank you, I've been desperately searching for that graph. A picture says so much.

p.s. I love how it's impossible to score +1 SD.

Raines

Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.

View attachment 13473

Wow, that's the 'recovered' range, but that's almost everybody!!

Thanks for posting this I have a few pace charts and graphs now and they are super good for showing the point I'm trying to make when brain power is failing me.

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

View attachment 13473
Just tweeted this to Coyne. does anyone know the source / who made this?

Edited to add: and whether they want attribution? tweeted it without thinking and realize I should have asked first.

Last edited: