• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Mental Elf: Simon Wessely on PACE

Sidereal

SW said:
So moving on from our nautical analogy, I am well informed about clinical trials in general, and about the issues that surround chronic fatigue syndrome in particular. I have previously made it clear that I think that PACE was a good trial; I once described it as a thing of beauty. In this blog I will describe why I still think that and I will try and avoid very technical issues

Yes, god forbid you actually address the technical critiques, let's just stick to fancy talk of cruise ships.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Also posted a simple question of whether he approves of the weird fatigue/physical function thresholds.

I'd be amazed if either comment makes it through moderation.

Sidereal

Wessely said:
Meanwhile those originally allocated to SMC and APT improved so that their outcomes were now similar. What isn’t clear is why. It may be because many had CBT and GET after the trial, but it may not.

Total lie/fabrication. The information in the Appendix rejects this hypothesis. Those who received no CBT/GET had the same amount of improvement during the follow-up.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
So, write a damaging article, then invite critics to disagree. How very reasonable that makes Prof Wessely sound.
But the damage is already done in the high profile article.

Sidereal

Neurasthenia Milkshake
View 48 minutes ago
“In 2015, Professor Wessely offered a spirited defense of the PACE trial that was couched in a ocean liner metaphor (unlike the ‘Oxford says ME not a chronic illness’ shock jocks). This followed a fortnight’s worth of intense criticism towards PACE from journalists and bloggers–but surely not his peers, as Sir Simon Wessely has no peer walking this earth. As he has never been wrong about anything since birth, this blog shall be taken as the ultimate in truth, and fact; so it is written."

LMAO. Standing ovation, sir or madam. :lol:

"Neurasthenia milkshake" hahahahahaha

snowathlete

It's a cruise ship. Yeah. That works.

The PACE Trial for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: choppy seas but a prosperous voyage

http://www.nationalelfservice.net/o...syndrome-choppy-seas-but-a-prosperous-voyage/

"Nothing to see here..."
A cruise ship you say?
latest