• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"My GP just asked me if I'd seen the news that ME/CFS 'isn't real'" (Twitter post)

Dolphin

Posted on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/sickandtiredCFS/status/661238058570878976

ME not real.png

("stuggle" is presumably "struggle" for any non-native English speakers who are confused)

alex3619

The problem is, in part, that there is definitional blurring here, and the psychogenic brigade is blurring the lines a lot.

I think we need to start with something like "every expert agrees that people with CFS are really suffering". Then maybe "CFS is such a broad diagnostic category that misdiagnosis might be on the order of 40% even if the doctor is careful, at least if they use the general CFS criteria". Then "however if you use ME criteria the misdiagnosis rate goes way down, and you can objectively measure most of the major symptoms". Point out that while CFS definitions may only be accurate, somewhat, less than 60% of the time, ME definitions using cutting edge technology seem to be accurate to 95% of the time.

The problem is the diagnostic category of CFS is invalid. Doctors mostly kind of get that I think. Some then go on to conflate the diagnostic category, which like many diagnoses is man-made, with the disease the patients have. Its more about diagnostic accuracy, but some take that too far and go into denial mode.

However as I pointed out in a recent blog, if you go from "this category is invalid" to "this disease does not exist", its such a leap of logic that if you believe it then you have to throw the DSM in the bin, as none of those are real either. Its a fallacy. Real disease, mislabelled, is still real disease. The people still deserve respect and care, its just the category that needs to be treated as speculative.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
The doctor needs asking please find out the cause of my symptoms after giving me the wrong diagnosis. Over to you.....what an absolute a*se.

Seven7

Seven
BecuAse the psy have a campaign and succeeding. We need to amp the education and amounts or articles all the good work in the last year is burried now with all the series of well placed and thought out articles.

SilverbladeTE

BecuAse the psy have a campaign and succeeding. We need to amp the education and amounts or articles all the good work in the last year is burried now with all the series of well placed and thought out articles.

this is one reason why we NEED a criminal or civil court case against them, whether people believe it or not
because not until they are destroyed in court, will it HAMMER the message into the Public and Professional conscience.

BurnA

Would there be anything wrong in asking sickandtiredcfs to name their Dr. on Twitter ?

Sea

I think we need to start with something like "every expert agrees that people with CFS are really suffering". Then maybe "CFS is such a broad diagnostic category that misdiagnosis might be on the order of 40% even if the doctor is careful, at least if they use the general CFS criteria". Then "however if you use ME criteria the misdiagnosis rate goes way down, and you can objectively measure most of the major symptoms". Point out that while CFS definitions may only be accurate, somewhat, less than 60% of the time, ME definitions using cutting edge technology seem to be accurate to 95% of the time.

The problem is the diagnostic category of CFS is invalid. Doctors mostly kind of get that I think. Some then go on to conflate the diagnostic category, which like many diagnoses is man-made, with the disease the patients have. Its more about diagnostic accuracy, but some take that too far and go into denial mode.

Further to the blurring is that different doctors have different ideas about diagnosis. Some will use ME criteria but diagnose CFS "because that's what ME is called in Australia", and at the other end of the spectrum some doctors will diagnose anyone who has chronic fatigue with CFS with no regard to criteria or exclusions.