• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vegetative Nervous System

I think, if you are always sleepy or if you are always wide awake and have insomnia depends of the state of your nervous system at the moment CFS manfestated. You always stay that way. What do you think?

I have unfortunately an extremely strong sympathicus dominance so I can't sleep at all and have enormous problems due to lack of sleep.

ahmo

My insomnia resolved with adequate B12. It had been intermittent all my life, acute and chronic from when I became ill w/ ME. Sleep is now reliable and rewarding.

CantThink

You always stay that way. What do you think?

In my case, this did not happen - the always staying that way. I also read a thread on here a year or two ago in which people were talking about a change of their disease - sort of distinct phases to it.

So for me, when I first got sick I was a 'sleeping all the time' person. Eventually this switched to the insomnia version and that predominated. I then switched back to sleeping all the time after years of struggling to sleep (this change coincided with endocrine problems), after which I switched back to insomniac again.

At the moment I'm in the insomnia category. I have a rhythm that doesn't fit the norm. So I can sleep, but it doesn't want to happen until 2 or 3 a.m. and then I would probably naturally wake up between 10a.m.-12p.m., although I tend to get artificially woken by my dad or dog. I spend a lot of time resting but very rarely sleep in the day, and my biggest issue during the insomniac phase is not feeling or getting sleeping. I feel exhausted but no drowsiness when I need it.

I think @redrachel76 also has an altered sleep cycle, though I'm not sure if hers has always been like that or not.

Thank you for your answers. I found a sleep med which helps, Melperon. Also my problems with sleeping might have to do with Histamine as I found out. High histamine doesnt let you fall asleep.

leela

So for me, when I first got sick I was a 'sleeping all the time' person. Eventually this switched to the insomnia version and that predominated. I then switched back to sleeping all the time after years of struggling to sleep (this change coincided with endocrine problems), after which I switched back to insomniac again.[...] I spend a lot of time resting but very rarely sleep in the day, and my biggest issue during the insomniac phase is not feeling or getting sleeping. I feel exhausted but no drowsiness when I need it.

I've had the same Pattern, @CantThink . I especially hate the exhaustion-but-can't-sleep thing. The only time I can sleep during the day is the (ever-rarer) prodrome of a herpesvirus reactivation.

CantThink

I've had the same Pattern, @CantThink . I especially hate the exhaustion-but-can't-sleep thing. The only time I can sleep during the day is the (ever-rarer) prodrome of a herpesvirus reactivation.

Oh I hate it @leela! It's an extremely depressing symptom isn't it. So frustrating too.

My daytime sleep is usually if I have eaten something I'm intolerant to, or if I'm coming down with something. I generally don't even feel sleepy in the day due to lack of sleep. I find that weird.