• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ugh."Chronic fatigue treatments bring long-term benefits, study shows " Medical news today

alex3619

I am really really tired, barely slept in days, so I omitted references but I posted this:

The study does indeed show that benefits are sustained, kind of. However they are ZERO benefits. GET or CBT were actually SMC+GET and SMC+CBT. At two and a half years there was no benefit using SMC as the comparison.

This is most easily interpreted as the earlier study results in supposed favour of CBT or GET being mostly methodological bias.

Lets look at the objective outcomes. No improvement in fitness, work history, or receipt of benefits. NONE. An objective outcome measure of fatigue was dropped after the study started. Subjecive outcomes show no benefit in fatigue at two and a half years.

Coyne and Tuller, and now Laws, have written damning analyses of this and earlier studies. There is a long litany of methodological problems, from basic methods, to faulty statistical analysis, to recruitment aberrations. Scientists have variously described these studies as "uninterpretable" to its hard to see how they get through peer review.

The most worrying aspect is nearly all these faults are obvious. Someone well trained in analyzing papers should be able to see them immediately.

These studies are not the Gold Standard in evidence based medicine. They fail at too many points.

These failures are without referring to other studies using objective measures of functional capacity from CBT/GET treatments, which show either a worsening outcome or no change. In addition, three government studies of clinics using these methods in the real world, in Holland and Belgium, at least one much larger than the PACE trial, show no benefit or even a decline.

Its time this research was put to rest.

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
I am really really tired, barely slept in days, so I omitted references but I posted this:

The study does indeed show that benefits are sustained, kind of. However they are ZERO benefits. GET or CBT were actually SMC+GET and SMC+CBT. At two and a half years there was no benefit using SMC as the comparison.

This is most easily interpreted as the earlier study results in supposed favour of CBT or GET being mostly methodological bias.

Lets look at the objective outcomes. No improvement in fitness, work history, or receipt of benefits. NONE. An objective outcome measure of fatigue was dropped after the study started. Subjecive outcomes show no benefit in fatigue at two and a half years.

Coyne and Tuller, and now Laws, have written damning analyses of this and earlier studies. There is a long litany of methodological problems, from basic methods, to faulty statistical analysis, to recruitment aberrations. Scientists have variously described these studies as "uninterpretable" to its hard to see how they get through peer review.

The most worrying aspect is nearly all these faults are obvious. Someone well trained in analyzing papers should be able to see them immediately.

These studies are not the Gold Standard in evidence based medicine. They fail at too many points.

These failures are without referring to other studies using objective measures of functional capacity from CBT/GET treatments, which show either a worsening outcome or no change. In addition, three government studies of clinics using these methods in the real world, in Holland and Belgium, at least one much larger than the PACE trial, show no benefit or even a decline.

Its time this research was put to rest.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Ellkaye

Idiotic
It's 2015
They just studied the fatigued based on 20year old misinformed criteria that their buddies came up with !
What a waste of money
5 million pounds !!
Remember PACE was published in 2011 !!
It just had to work out !
What else were agency heads worried about also working out ?!
CraZy.
And the band plays on n on n on

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
It is pretty clear that there was a press release along the lines of what was reported, from the University or Science Media Centre.

Everyone talks about how we shouldn't spin the results of RCTs in the media. And then they release biased press releases anyway.