• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sir Simon defends the newsletter. On Twitter

Kati

Patient in training
cb577af944a0d52369ce3ca54dd6dffa_normal.jpeg
Simon Wessely (@WesselyS)
2015-10-31, 11:57 AM
@davidtuller1 @TheLancetPsych David, there were 4 brief comments, one from each of the 4 arms, after end of recruitment.

msf

The title of this thread reminded me of the Chili Peppers. Sir Psycho Wessely, that´s his name...

Kati

Patient in training
Can anyone with a Twitter account when he is going to give up the game and apologise to us for all the harm he has done? And then ask him again the next day, and the next day, and so on, ad infiniteum?

There is no point of doing this @msf. It is probably best not to engage with him, but engage with everybody else. Science or the lack of it, will make that judgement.

It must have hurt when he heard the NIH director saying they didn't have the right skill set the other day

SOC

cb577af944a0d52369ce3ca54dd6dffa_normal.jpeg
Simon Wessely (@WesselyS)
2015-10-31, 11:57 AM
@davidtuller1 @TheLancetPsych David, there were 4 brief comments, one from each of the 4 arms, after end of recruitment.
And this answers the question of interfering with the patient response how? That they did it in a way that interfered equally across all arms? o_O The point is that they shouldn't have been touting the success of the study to the study participants in any way whatsoever before the study was over . That's basic research protocol and ethics, people. It is particularly egregious because they were using subjective outcome measures, so anything that might influence how the participants answer the questionnaires (such as CBT :rolleyes:) should be avoided at all costs.

Deflection, misdirection, deliberate obtuseness.

Emperor Simon, you have no clothes.

SOC

Yep. The scientific world will take him down. Maybe not the UK branch -- the jury is still out on which way they'll jump-- but the rest of the scientific world is going to make clear what a pile of doodoo his work is. Being embarrassed by, and in front of, those he thinks of as his peers is going to be much more painful than being bothered by the ME patients he considers his social and intellectual inferiors.

Last edited by a moderator:

user9876

It should be said that he went on to tweet that opposition to the trial would have had more of an effect than the newsletter. In doing so he brings into question the whole notion of subjective measures. It seems obvious to me that the biggest effect on subjective measures is the treatments that say 'change how you think about your symptoms and you will get better'. Followed by the question 'how do you feel about your symptoms'!

msf

If you feel that way, Bob, why are you posting on this thread? It´s about Wessely on Twitter.

msf

No, I wasn´t trying to tell you what to do, I was just pointing out that this thread is about how Wessely is giving his side of the story on Twitter. I took your comments to mean that you don´t care what he says or doesn´t say on Twitter. Perhaps I misunderstood you/came to the wrong conclusion.