• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sock It To ME: a community public art project to raise awareness and funds.

starryeyes

I've been meaning to post this and this seems like a good time to do it. I think this Mr. Fox is related to our Talkingfox:

foxinsocks-1.jpg

Here's an easy game to play.
Here's an easy thing to say....

New socks.
Two socks.

Whose socks?
Sue's socks.

Who sews whose socks?
Sue sews Sue's socks.

Who sees who sew whose new socks, sir?
You see Sue sew Sue's new socks, sir.

That's not easy, Mr. Fox, sir.

foxinsox.jpg

Hot socks. Hot socks says Talkingfox.

Put socks on your feet says Creekfeet.

Hot socks, hot socks, Creekfeet, Creekfeet.

Hot socks, hot socks says Talkingfox.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Wow, wouldn't it be cool if we could get the Dr. Seuss estate to allow us to use Fox in Socks in our promotions?

Well, that's dreaming big but who knows. And in any case he's certainly a cheery fellow to have in the thread. Thanks, tee!

creekfeet

Sockfeet
I agree with Garcia and would like to add my 2 pence worth. The one thing that unites us is our illness. Representing us by socks also unites us but using religous symbolism is devisive.

Socks it is for me. Sock it to them.

50 Doctor jokes in record time - Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre A BIT RUDE IN PLACES BEWARE BUT FUNNY

[video=youtube;THkzDWyJk5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THkzDWyJk5o[/video]

Joy

Finally got this to load halfway and I'm in stitches. Thanks, Joy!

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
creekfeet,

The sock keychain is cute. Worth seeing twice! Wish I remembered how to knit.

I think there are some among us who would be happy to contribute some funds so that no one has to carry that burden alone. I am not volunteering to set this up, nor do I have any suggestions on how it should be done. I just think that there are many who would gladly send a few bucks now and then if we only knew how.

talkingfox

creekfeet,

The sock keychain is cute. Worth seeing twice! Wish I remembered how to knit.

I think there are some among us who would be happy to contribute some funds so that no one has to carry that burden alone. I am not volunteering to set this up, nor do I have any suggestions on how it should be done. I just think that there are many who would gladly send a few bucks now and then if we only knew how.

All of that will be set up by launch day. The geekmeister is hard at work making sure that all of our needs are being addressed as far as the website, database, etcetcetc.. I'm very sure that we'll have a paypal option. :Retro smile:

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Not methodical, just a quick list off the top of my head. Please add to it any I've forgot.

SOCK PUNS

Sock it to ME/cfs

Socking It Away

Support Socks

Drop your docs and grab your socks.

Put a sock in it.

Rock our socks.

Sock Hops (healthy people dance for ME)

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Oh, gracenote, yes, we will want to accept donations even if only to help cover costs. The web hosting, postage, display materials, yarn for mini sock pins, etc. can really add up fast.

And talkingfox your webmeister is thinking of everything it seems. Paypal button, check!

By the way, we've planned from the first that any donations over and above costs would be re-donated from us to research and patient service organizations. It might be a while before that arises but it's good to have it in mind, and state it from the outset so people will know.

jace

Off the fence
b9COwt78.jpeg

I vote socks! Scuse the scruffy pic, I'm not an artist, and it's still work in progress. Bit wonky too! The top row is without personalised banners, the bottom row is with banners.

A lot quicker than making all those different socks. On the website we will need a photie of the real thing... but not all made by one poorly person.

jace

Off the fence
Here's where I've got to on the "how to" page. Brain is dying, be kind, it ain't perfect yet, but I feel we need something to work to. Here also are the three knitting patterns from talkingfox.

I've increased the banner size to 18" x 3", as while working on it, it seemed the right thing.

Over to you for comments

Attachments

• SITME how to.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
  • thigh socks..pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 29
  • teensy socks..pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Ladies XMRV socks&#4.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 28

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Thanks teejkay and Gerwyn, and all others who expressed sock-support elsewhere. We are definitely going ahead with the socks. :3

Jace I really love your illustrations of the sock garlands! While we will someday need a photo of the real thing I hope your picture will have a place on the website.

As for the how-to, I'll check it out but it's loading slow for me... 44% now after several minutes. I was going to say how I'm not the best person to critique a how-to, given the way the fog won't clear from my left brain, but actually if we want to see how well it works for a brain-fogged person with very limited textile skills to begin with, then I'm your guineapig!

starryeyes

I can't critique a How To today that's for sure. Maybe tomorrow.....

I can't ever sit up for very long so I wouldn't ever be able to help make garlands. :(

I like the idea of labels above the socks but only if we get lots of healthy people who are able to help us make these or some garlands could have labels and others not.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
I can't get the how-to PDF to open! I think it's the fault of my internet and I will try downloading again later but meantime I just want to say, I think it's going to be okay even if there are some minor differences in assembly in different regions. As long as the basic idea is there, it could even be good to try out more than one way in two different places so we get twice the experience.

Now I need to cheer up the kidlet with some backgammon and then try to break through to someone with a heart and a brain (and not just the nerve) over in the Social Services offices where they're cutting back my beni's. So, wish me luck, and I'll be back as soon as i can.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Got the pdf to open. For some reason if I saved and then opened it it worked, but if I tried just to open it it didn't, so if anyone else had a problem I guess that's something to try, but it's probably just my version of Reader being screwed up.

The instructions are clearly written and well illustrated: understandable even for me! *applause*

My pacing style so far has been push, push, crash. Having new emergencies arise in my finances is not helping. For the most part, though, this project feeds my energy instead of sapping it. I think we're just at a critical point---we are so close to having it presentable! But if we stick with our initial target of May 12 for announcing it to the public, we have time until then to take things slow and figure it all out without making ourselves crash.