• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise Lyme Away?

duncan

Supervised Resistance Exercise for Patients with Persistent Symptoms of Lyme Disease.
D'Adamo CR, McMillin CR, Chen KW, Lucas EK, Berman BM.
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2015 Nov;47(11):2291-8.

http://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000000683

Abstract

Purpose: The rapidly increasing incidence of Lyme disease has become a serious public health problem. Persistent symptoms of Lyme disease occur in over 40% of the 300,000 new cases diagnosed annually in the United States and often include debilitating musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and poor health-related quality of life. No clinical practice guidelines for Lyme disease currently include resistance exercise partly because of concern over its safety and feasibility in this population. The goal of this pilot study was to evaluate the feasibility and preliminary efficacy of a supervised, low-intensity resistance exercise program in a sample of patients with persistent symptoms of Lyme disease.

Methods: An uncontrolled resistance exercise intervention was conducted under the supervision of an exercise professional. Participants performed three exercise sessions per week for 4 wk. Each exercise session consisted of one set of varying repetitions of the leg press, seated row, vertical chest press, standing heel raise, and supine abdominal crunch. Outcomes were assessed at baseline and the end of each week of intervention and included musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, health-related quality of life, vitality, and exercise performance. ANOVA and t-tests were performed to assess changes in the study outcomes.

Results: Eight patients participated in the exercise intervention. All participants successfully completed the intervention, and there were no adverse events related to exercise. Statistically significant improvements (P ≤ 0.05) were noted in exercise performance and in the number of days out of the past 30 d feeling healthy and full of energy (0.6 at baseline and 4.5 at end of intervention).

Conclusions: Although larger and controlled studies are necessary, supervised resistance exercise was feasible and may benefit patients with persistent symptoms of Lyme disease.

Antares in NYC

Supervised Resistance Exercise for Patients with Persistent Symptoms of Lyme Disease.

giphy.gif

Vee are Hanz und Franz, and vee are heah to pump your girly Lyme disees avay!!!
:lol:

(Old Saturday Night Live reference, for those outside the USA)

Last edited:

duncan

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise? For an infectious disease? Sample size: 8.
:bang-head::bang-head:

I can't wait to read the study in its entirety.

Of course, Lyme peeps will know we are encouraged to do exercise, but that is to leverage oxygen levels to combat Borrelia (or something like that). Somehow, I don't believe this is the same thing.

Dufresne

almost there...
Conclusions: Although larger and controlled studies are necessary, supervised resistance exercise was feasible and may benefit patients with persistent symptoms of Lyme disease.

Substitute "spirited masturbation" for "supervised resistance exercise" and I bet you get more or less the same result. And without the post-exertional malaise.

drob31

Substitute "spirited masturbation" for "supervised resistance exercise" and I bet you get more or less the same result. And without the post-exertional malaise.

I know this thread is on a lighter note, but it's surprising how much zinc is lost (for males) during masturbation. Over-masturbation could cause low levels of zinc? Low levels of zinc could cause immune issues?

Just a thought. :D

SOC

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
The man with a hammer thinks everything is a nail.

Just like the psychobabble people, some groups think that whatever their little corner of the knowledge base is can cure everything. They have lost their grip on the massive complexity of the world and want to reduce everything down to one simple solution whether it's psychotherapy, exercise, diet, prayer, positive thinking, or any of a thousand cure-alls.

Martial

With lyme disease weight training exercise has actually been proven to kill the bacteria and help the lymph system and body get the toxins out. Dr. B of the ILADS board actually requires his patients to get on some form of exercise intensive programs during recovery, he states patients won't recover without inducing some kind of anaerobic exercise program. It also helps prevent relapse, or reduces its severity. This is for a totally different reason then traditional GET programs though, which are more seemingly ways to help "mental induced conditions" from the perception of certain medical doctors.

So while exercise alone won't completely make Lyme disease go away, it certainly can help and provide an extra boost on top of pharmaceutical and herbal treatment a patient goes under. All the lyme doctors seem to state that cardio exercise is always contradicted until further in remission. This stuff only applies to patients who are not too sick to exercise, if someone is more severely ill and can't get out of bed this is obviously not helpful.

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82

duncan

I am going to commit sacriledge and suggest Burrascano may have been just talking accepted practice. I appreciate the theory, but not sure any meaningful studies have been performed that validate the theory.

This is not to say he is wrong - just that I don't think he really ever proved he was right. He may have been just shaking that exercise-so-we-don't-get-deconditioned stick.

The oxygen hypothesis is really an in vitro thing, if that, right?

Remember, Dr. B's insights are based on clinical experience. They are rich in hands-on experience with thousands of cases. Still, not the same as controlled studies.

SOC

I posted one link but can try and find others from Dr. Burrascano and others later.
I looked at that. It's not scientific proof, it's Dr B's opinion. Big difference. If there's actually sound scientific research specific to Lyme showing that weight training exercise kills the bacteria, I'd love to see it.

Martial

I am going to commit sacriledge and suggest Burrascano may have been just talking accepted practice. I appreciate the theory, but not sure any meaningful studies have been performed that validate the theory.

This is not to say he is wrong - just that I don't think he really ever proved he was right. He may have been just shaking that exercise-so-we-don't-get-deconditioned stick.

The oxygen hypothesis is really an in vitro thing, if that, right?

Hey nothing wrong with making that statement, no single doctor is an all knowing omni potent presence haha. I was just making a statement that a lot of Lyme doctors actually advocate some form of exercise intensive program at a certain point in recovery.

Martial

I looked at that. It's not scientific proof, it's Dr B's opinion. Big difference. If there's actually sound scientific research specific to Lyme showing that weight training exercise kills the bacteria, I'd love to see it.

I saw some things a while back but cannot find them at the moment. I believe it was something to do with oxygenation in soft tissue, and raised body temperature analysis. It is his opinion but of the many lyme patients I have spoken too, and for the doctors that do recommend it. Patients have seen a lot of improvement when combined with the other treatment they were on. To me that is more important then any other source of information. Obviously it could make some people more sick, and others would not be physically ready for a program so again really this is case by case. But there really is a start very low, and go slow approach in the beginning regardless for each person attempting it.

duncan

Yes, I can verify what you are saying @Martial. I have communicated with Eva Sapi and Judith Miklossy and they both strongly advocate exercising.

I just wondered if that had ever really been proven.

Again, it may be spot-on accurate.

Antares in NYC

Hey nothing wrong with making that statement, no single doctor is an all knowing omni potent presence haha. I was just making a statement that a lot of Lyme doctors actually advocate some form of exercise intensive program at a certain point in recovery.
I do respect Burrascano's opinion in general because he's been one of us. He was a Lyme patient before he developed his protocols. He may or may not be right about the exercise thing, but I usually pay attention to what he says. He's been down the hole like us.

Antares in NYC

Yes, I can verify what you are saying @Martial. I have communicated with Eva Sapi and Judith Miklossy and they both strongly advocate exercising.

I just wondered if that had ever really been proven.

Again, it may be spot-on accurate.
My ME/CFS doctor --a close research partner of Dr. Lipkin, btw-- told me once that the Lyme patients they see at their clinic seem to have more neurological/cognitive issues, but tolerate exercise a tiny bit more than their ME/CFS, Lyme-negative patients. Note: just in general terms. Just anecdotal testimony, nothing scientific, fyi.
They are also seeing more and more Lyme positive cases every year, and it has apparently spiked a lot in 2015.