• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sock It To ME: a community public art project to raise awareness and funds.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
DB, it wouldn't have to be actual functional socks...think christmas stockings as an example.
Not functional, highly personalized in a sock shape.

I know they wouldn't be my old stinky socks... I was just thinking stupid.
Sometimes I'm too good at that. :cool::cool::cool:

Still... it will be a project to come up with a "creative sock."
I hope I don't get too crazy with it. :Retro tongue: :Retro tongue::Retro tongue:

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
If you're wanting to specify socks of a certain size (I guess we're not thinking of "real" socks anymore?), on the website still to be developed, could be templates of sock sizes/shapes child, medium, large, etc. so people would have an idea of what's needed.

talkingfox

I think any sort of sock would work..real or not, but yeah I think there needs to be size limitations. I don't think they need to be as uniform as quilt blocks would have to be or anything.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
I like the tape concept, jace! I was thinking somewhere in a half-asleep state last night that something broad like ribbon or "braid" could be good. Putting names on that, brilliant. But I'm so sorry to learn that Peter Rabbit is ill, too.

Size... If we say one sock per foot of garland for example, grace, fox, whaddaya think? Then the socks would be maybe no smaller than 15" square (size of a 3 x 5 index card) and no larger than 100" square (or a tad larger than an 8.5 x 11 photo) or should we go smaller and bigger?

DB, I'm glad the socks are growing on you! (Your feet will stay warm that way, though hard to wash.) Goofiness aside, though, I definitely want a part of the project to be listing people who need a sockmaker and matching them up with volunteers who will make socks.

For more ideas check out various ways of making Christmas stockings. They can be like felt-boards sorta, cut felt shapes glued together. Ribbon, fringe, sequins, feathers, quilting, embroidery, all kinds of things could be attached. One could buy a simple Christmas stocking and use it as a base, or use a great big wool sock, and add to it.

I'm working now on looking at the AIDS quilt website for some ideas on the design of Sock It To ME website so we can start inviting socks to arrive as soon as we have some volunteer to send them to. Then we can go public with the idea, providing links to the website and publicity. It would be good if we can have the plans for display all arranged by that time, but if necessary we can start receiving socks and just say the display will debut at a time and location to be announced. I wonder how long ahead one needs permits for the DC Mall? And what would be a good target date? Is there an anniversary of some sort that we could use as a news hook and say, "This is the premiere display of Sock It To ME, presented on this date in honor of (insert occasion here)."

Dreambirdie

work in progress
WOW--that is REALLY SOON! :eek::eek::eek:

Spring is my worst time of year. Currently, I'm in agony due to pollen allergies... which feel more like being poisoned by plutonium. I will not be up for doing a magnificently creative sock until probably the end of June, when the sex-wild plant kingdom finally begins to dry up and shrivel. Unless you all can make the rain come back for the next three months straight.

I am the scrooge of springtime. :In bed:

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Poor DB. I know only a fraction of that misery. I get bouts of allergy from time to time, but not one solid and seemingly endless season. Well, we can try to gather as many socks as we can as soon as we can and see what becomes doable when.

MEKoan

I can't wait to read this thread before responding:

What a fantastic idea! And, so doable! And, so interesting!

I love this!

I'm so excited!

Ok, gonna go read now.

I'm so excited!

:eek:)

MEKoan

Has somebody already suggested a Facebook Page for this?

Probably.

Ok, gonna go read.

So excited!

MEKoan

Thoughts:

I'm going to embroider something on a simple cotton sock with brightly coloured embroidery thread - don't know what, yet.

Socks (or a sock, which is how I'm leaning but push me over and I'll lean the other way) can be sent in an envelope making this major doable! (this is such a brill. idea, you!)

We can launch the undertaking on May 12 but need only have a couple of example socks by that point - seems we have a couple underway already!

Once we have our site with our fabulous and wonderfully artistic sock pic.s, and pic.s of our travelling sock show...

we can sell blue "Sock it to ME" socks!

We can get a sock manufacturer to customize a simple pair of blue socks and sell them as a fund raising effort!

(Does anyone know a sock manufacturer with ME? Too specific? :tongue: Ok, ok, we get a really deep discount at the very least.)

I mean, seriously, everybody needs socks!

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Has somebody already suggested a Facebook Page for this?

Probably.

Ok, gonna go read.

So excited!

Yeah, we need a Facebook page. I can barely get my breath, this thing seems to be barreling forward so fast. I kinda want to get the website in place before telling Dr. Bell and Hillary Johnson who co-inspired the project or the Whittemores or people I know in media who can help promote it. So, maybe website first, then FB page?

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Web Content Outline:

Home Page: ME/CFS Overview/Project Description, email addy & po box @ bottom

I. Send Socks
A. Sock Submission Guidelines (size, materials, durability &c)
B. Sock Submission Form
C. People Making Socks for People Needing Socks Made
i. List people needing socks with their preferred motifs, colors &c
ii. List people volunteering to make socks for others with their preferred media, possibly samples
iii. Form to request someone makes socks for you
iv. Form to offer to make socks for someone else

II. See Socks
A. .Photos
i. Randomized or links to photos of individual socks & garlands on display in various places
ii. (eventually searchable sock photos by name)
B. Socks on Tour
i. Schedule of upcoming displays
ii. Photos of past tour displays

III. Sock News
Sock Stories, Press Clips &c

IV. Socking It Away: Donations and Fundraising
A. Explanation of where donations go
B. Donate button
C. Sock Hops
i. Attend one: list of upcoming hops
ii. Host one: Fundraiser Event Template
D. Stocking Stuffers
List thanking major supporters, foundation grants, corporate donations &c

V. ME/CFS Community Information
A. Links to good sites for info and services
B. “further info” Link to email sockit2mecfs@gmail.com

VI. Sock Shop
Sales of sock lapel pins, t-shirts, mugs and of course socks.

talkingfox

Think we can hit the ground runni--- scratch that metaphor. Think we can pull something together in time for May 12? Maybe! That would be great.

I think launching the project by May 12th is doable, but having the socks ready for display is not.

Just felt a need to clarify here.

I think that getting a date from the Mall in DC is a priority, that way we can set a demonstration day when the project officially launches.

Also, web content outline has been forwarded to geekland :) We'll see what we can come up with.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Thoughts:

I'm going to embroider something on a simple cotton sock with brightly coloured embroidery thread - don't know what, yet.

Socks (or a sock, which is how I'm leaning but push me over and I'll lean the other way) can be sent in an envelope making this major doable! (this is such a brill. idea, you!)

We can launch the undertaking on May 12 but need only have a couple of example socks by that point - seems we have a couple underway already!

Once we have our site with our fabulous and wonderfully artistic sock pic.s, and pic.s of our travelling sock show...

we can sell blue "Sock it to ME" socks!

We can get a sock manufacturer to customize a simple pair of blue socks and sell them as a fund raising effort!

(Does anyone know a sock manufacturer with ME? Too specific? :tongue: Ok, ok, we get a really deep discount at the very least.)

I mean, seriously, everybody needs socks!

Wonderful thoughts. And it can't hurt to ask for sock manufacturers, t-shirt screen printers, logo designers... hang on! I'll post the list I just made of volunteers we want to rope in.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
I think launching the project by May 12th is doable, but having the socks ready for display is not.

Just felt a need to clarify here.

I think that getting a date from the Mall in DC is a priority, that way we can set a demonstration day when the project officially launches.

Also, web content outline has been forwarded to geekland :) We'll see what we can come up with.

Okay, a DC Mall launch would be a nice splash. If that could happen May 12 we could go wild getting as many socks together by then as possible. If not that date, then we proceed accordingly.

Great news re: geekland. Can you add the shop on to the outline? I added it above but it wasn't in the version I pm'd you.

I can try to write out the home page content tomorrow. No, wait. Skipped out on sorting tax receipts today, tomorrow is daughter to neurologist... well, I'll see if I can play hookey again and write the home page content asap, unless someone else wants to take that on!

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Template: Introduce the Idea to Friends

What I wrote to the first batch of people I'm running this by, outside of PR... feel free to copy it, revise it, personalize it and use it to rope in some more help!

Dear friends,

Some of us people with ME/CFS have come up with a community public art project to raise awareness, kinda like the AIDS quilt project, only different. I'd love to get input at this very early stage in the project. Also, we will need a ton of volunteer assistance from healthy people, just like the Quilt did. So if this sparks your interest, please read on and get back to me.

Sock it to ME
for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Background:

Hillary Johnson, author of Osler's Web, has said that we need something for ME/CFS, like the AIDS quilt: something engaging and colorful and big to get positive attention.

What we want to use is socks.

Why Socks?

Dr. Bell, an excellent speaker on this disease, has this saying when there's some really great research making him happy. He says, "It makes my socks go up and down."

Personalized socks, decorated socks, regular socks you would wear or stylized ones like Christmas stockings, will express the idea of comfort and coziness, caring for ME/CFS patients.

They can be as easy or as elaborate as their makers wish. Anyone can grab a sock and draw on it with a Sharpie, and some people will make socks by felting, quilting or of course knitting. In fact, one project initiator is knitting socks with the XMRV virus molecule shape in them.

How socks will be sent in:

We'll create a PO box to receive socks. Anyone who wants to can send in a sock in honor of a person with ME/CFS. The sock should have the person's name or nickname on it. Accompanying it they can include information like the year the person became ill, if a child perhaps their age at onset, if deceased the date of death. Identifying information on socks and sock photos will be kept in a searchable database so people can look up their loved ones' socks on our eventual website.

How socks will look:

A sock's decoration can express something about the person. Like AIDS quilt panels; which incorporate photos, embroidery, patchwork, beads, jewelry and all kinds of stuff; the socks can be wildly varied, and as simple or complex as their makers wish.

For display:

Individual socks will be attached to a rope or wide tape, like a garland. This could then be hung up at a conference or in a public place (with legal permits obtained, of course) the same way the AIDS quilt has been displayed laid out at the Washington DC mall and in 12 x 12 blocks at various venues worldwide. The sock garland can also be displayed in sections, and sections can be carried by marchers in parades, with sections strung between poles.

Fundraising Potential

Donations to the project will be welcomed when it gets going: small donations could help with costs like postal fees and display permits. Additional funds raised over costs would be donated to research and patient services projects. "Sock hops" could be held, where healthy people dance to raise funds. We would be "socking away the funds" for ME/CFS. Additional funds could be raised through sale of t-shirts, mugs, and of course socks with the XMRV virus or other ME/CFS related logos. Mini-sock lapel pins will be sold cheap as possible so people can show support.

Grass Roots and Cooperative

This doesn't have to be a big huge project. It can start small and it can even stay small. It gives people with ME/CFS something proactive we can participate in. Those who can't decorate even a ready-made sock can submit their names, and others with lots of sock-making energy can make socks on their behalf. The image of the garland of bright, colorful, varied socks fills me with happiness and I hope will engage others, too.

Growth Potential

Given the number of people with ME/CFS in the world, this could grow huge. If it does, that's fine, too. We could have multiple garlands traveling the world, the same way the AIDS quilt has multiple quilted blocks traveling the world. Healthy friends and family, and we occasionally-energetic people with ME/CFS, can contribute time and effort to keep it going.

Example

Check out the AIDS quilt for an example of how this can work. http://aidsquilt.org/index.htm

There you have it. Got any suggestions? Can you be involved? Please get back to me here at my email or write to the email for the project: sockit2MEcfs@gmail.com

Thanks, dears!

MEKoan

Ok, so, I immediately thought of McGregor Socks because they used to have a factory in downtown Toronto. I don't think it's in operation any longer but it is a company that operates in Canadian, the US and globally.

If you go to the below link and pull down the menu under "corporate" they have a page for "charitable" but nothing there -- it is clearly waiting for us!

http://www.mcgregorsocks.com/corporate_info_mcgregor.html

I love how quickly Creek Feet can create a document that looks like 30 people had 20 meetings and created 10 drafts!

I would be very happy to make an in person pitch, following a phone pitch, since McGregor head office is in Toronto if we decide to go that way. I used to pitch films a lot and was pretty good at the pitch. I don't know if that's still the case, though. Early days, I know, don't worry, I'm not phoning anyone on my own volition.

still excited though!

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Template: Specifics for Volunteers

Here's what I told the first person to contact the project email offering help. Feel free to copy it and provide it to any potential volunteers you may find.
There are a ton of things that will need to be done for the sock project ("Sock It To ME"), so you could pretty much take your pick of whatever best fits your skills, interests and time availability.

We need...

Receiver: Somebody to set up a PO Box near them for receiving socks and check it regularly.

Catalogers: Same or other people to take pictures of the socks and record the names and info of each sock-sender in a searchable database.

Garland Assembly: People to attach socks to the tape and label them with their names and identifying data.

Location Scouts: People to check out possible places to display the sock garlands (like for instance the Washington DC Mall) and find out how to get permits for display.

Accounting: We'll need someone to receive and bank donations and make payments to pay for permits, shipping, supplies and such, and send any donations beyond our costs to ME/CFS research and patient service organizations, and keep records on all that.

Publicity: We need everyone to spread the word about the project.

Sock Makers: Volunteers who will make custom-designed, personalized socks for some of the people with ME/CFS who can't make their own.

Designers: We'll need logo designs for the website and other uses like stationery and whatever, and we'll need a variety of cool designs to put on mugs, t-shirts and of course socks, to sell from the website. (Also sock lapel pins which someone is designing.)

Production: We need someone to research and carry out production of those salable materials.

Shipping and receiving: We'll need someone to take payment for those salable items and ship them out.

(Those last two things might be farmed out to cafe press or similar.)

And of course, let me know if you think of anything else we need that I missed. I'm sure there's something, and if it happens to be right up your alley, then that job is yours!

talkingfox

Okay, a DC Mall launch would be a nice splash. If that could happen May 12 we could go wild getting as many socks together by then as possible. If not that date, then we proceed accordingly.

What I was thinking is we launch the project publically and open the call for socks on May 12th...NOT display then.. NOT ENOUGH TIME. We're going to be scrambling getting a website by that time and getting all the ducks in a row to even make this possible.