• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

persistent high HR after exercise

jimmy86

Hello,

I tried to do some mild exercises, like going for a walk recently. Good news is that even at distances of around 6 miles I was not feeling fatigued as I used to.

However, the worst symptom after exercises is a constant high heart rate. I start with a resting heart rate of around 60-80. It goes up to 120-140 while walking and stays there the entire rest of the day/night. The heart beats very hard especially at night, at I have not found a way to bring it down (magnesium etc. has only a mild effect).

Is this a POTS symptom? Did anyone experience the same?

P.S.: I have not yet been tested on OI, but I strongly suspect that I have it.

halcyon

It's probably a sign that you should scale it back quite a bit. If your heart rate isn't recovering after exercise then you're probably doing too much during the exercise or exercising again too soon after a previous session. Performance athletes monitor this (heart rate recovery) during heavy training.

jimmy86

@halycon thanks, I agree! I was feeling better recently and was probably overdoing it. the weird thing is that my usual post-exertional symptoms, e.g. muscular fatigue etc. are mostly gone, but the high heart rate stays.

monitoring the hr is a good idea.

panckage

I have never heard of this before as a a ME symptom before. I would check with the doctor.

I have elevated heart rate eg. 120bpm every so often but I haven't noticed any association to exercise

I have never heard of this before as a a ME symptom before. I would check with the doctor.

I have elevated heart rate eg. 120bpm every so often but I haven't noticed any association to exercise

Do you monitor your heart rate ? If so I would be interested to know what rate you are at while walking for example or indeed generally moving about during the day . I am unclear what you mean by not associating elevated heart rate to exercise - do you mean elevated heart rate at random times during the day even if you don't exercise or exert yourself ?

jimmy86

Thanks for all your answers :).

Do you monitor your heart rate ? I am unclear what you mean by not associating elevated heart rate to exercise - do you mean elevated heart rate at random times during the day even if you don't exercise or exert yourself ?

No I should definitely do that...

I am unclear what you mean by not associating elevated heart rate to exercise - do you mean elevated heart rate at random times during the day even if you don't exercise or exert yourself ?

Sorry for not being clear. I mean elevated hear rate constantly after exercice for several hours up to one day...

Hello,

I tried to do some mild exercises, like going for a walk recently. Good news is that even at distances of around 6 miles I was not feeling fatigued as I used to.

However, the worst symptom after exercises is a constant high heart rate. I start with a resting heart rate of around 60-80. It goes up to 120-140 while walking and stays there the entire rest of the day/night. The heart beats very hard especially at night, at I have not found a way to bring it down (magnesium etc. has only a mild effect).

Is this a POTS symptom? Did anyone experience the same?

P.S.: I have not yet been tested on OI, but I strongly suspect that I have it.

I purchased a HR monitor a couple of weeks ago. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mio-Alpha-H...UTF8&qid=1445446053&sr=8-1&keywords=mio+alpha

I have found it to be a really good indicator of when I am overdoing things.

One thing I have noticed is that if I overdo it one day, the next day my heart rate is higher than it is usually, with pretty much whatever I am doing. Pootling around the house I can usually keep it between 100 and 110. But if I have overdone it the previous day it is difficult to keep it under 120.

Also my HR is more likely spike more quickly. For example it can go up from being in the 80's propped up in bed say watching TV. But if I get up and go upstairs (even if I do it slowly) it can spike up to 140bpm.

If my HR spikes I lie down, sit down, or crouch down, whichever is easiest.

I found that one of the things that never fails to spike my HR,even on a better day, is sitting on my shower stall cleaning my teeth or washing with a flannel.

I'd say that you are overdoing it if your HR stays so high after activity.

sillysocks84

@halycon thanks, I agree! I was feeling better recently and was probably overdoing it. the weird thing is that my usual post-exertional symptoms, e.g. muscular fatigue etc. are mostly gone, but the high heart rate stays.

monitoring the hr is a good idea.
While I can't help you resolve your hr issue I just wanted to share that my experience is similar to yours. I had a whole list of me symptoms, all of which seem to have resolved for the most part. Unfortunately it seems my HR is high a lot of time and doesn't take much activity to get there. Sometimes just sitting I can have high hr. So obviously pots is still the issue.