• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleepy after b12 shot

joe12

I got a methyl b12 shot, 25 mg, it was on Friday. I've been getting a lot of sleep since then, the main effect is being sleepy. I thought I would feel more energy, be more alert, but non of that has happened. I don't think my inflammation levels are down either, I do have less pain thou but that might be temporary. Why is this?

helen1

Wow Joe, 25 mg! That's a heckuva lot. Most people take 1-5 mg after building up from much smaller amounts. Have you built up to 25 or is that your first shot of B12? If it's your first, you definitely need to back off and start small and build up slowly. Most of us would be so slammed by 25 mg, you're lucky you just feel sleepy.

B12 does improve circadian rhythm and deep sleep so it makes sense you're sleeping better. Any extra B vitamin on it's own though will eventually unbalance other B vitamins so you might be experiencing a drain on B2 for example. Are you taking the other Bs?

joe12

Wow Joe, 25 mg! That's a heckuva lot. Most people take 1-5 mg after building up from much smaller amounts. Have you built up to 25 or is that your first shot of B12? If it's your first, you definitely need to back off and start small and build up slowly. Most of us would be so slammed by 25 mg, you're lucky you just feel sleepy.

B12 does improve circadian rhythm and deep sleep so it makes sense you're sleeping better. Any extra B vitamin on it's own though will eventually unbalance other B vitamins so you might be experiencing a drain on B2 for example. Are you taking the other Bs?
I take other b's. Could it be low potassium?

Tammy

B12 made me very sleepy in the beginning......I started off with too high of dosages and had to adjust.

Aerose91

Same thing has happened to me. In fact, lots of shit makes me randomly lethargic and sleepy. If that happens I usually back off the dose and start again lower.