• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Omega 3 & 6, dosage and clinical studies

M Paine

Hello,

Recently Dr Vallings recommended that I start taking Omega 3 and 6 in a 2:1 ratio. The dosage was 2000mg & 1000mg.

I visited several chemists and eventually a naturopath. I have settled on liquid fish oil for the Omega 3, however obtaining the Omega 6 in sufficient quantity is not straight forward.

I'm using evening primrose oil for omega 6, but the dosage at three capsules is not at 1000mg (more like 600mg). I'm concerned about taking more due to warnings about taking too much.

Does anyone have some advice?

And does anyone know of the clinical trials which are relevant?

halcyon

Acta Neurol Scand. 1990 Sep;82(3):209-16.
Effect of high doses of essential fatty acids on the postviral fatigue syndrome.
Behan PO1, Behan WM, Horrobin D.
Author information

Abstract
Sixty-three adults with the diagnosis of the postviral fatigue syndrome were enrolled in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of essential fatty acid therapy. The patients had been ill for from one to three years after an apparently viral infection, suffering from severe fatigue, myalgia and a variety of psychiatric symptoms. The preparation given contained linoleic, gamma-linolenic, eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids and either it, or the placebo, was given as 8 x 500 mg capsules per day over a 3-month period. The trial was parallel in design and patients were evaluated at entry, one month and three months. In consultation with the patient the doctors assessed overall condition, fatigue, myalgia, dizziness, poor concentration and depression on a 3-point scale. The essential fatty acid composition of their red cell membrane phospholipids was analysed at the first and last visits. At 1 month, 74% of patients on active treatment and 23% of those on placebo assessed themselves as improved over the baseline, with the improvement being much greater in the former. At 3 months the corresponding figures were 85% and 17% (p less than 0.0001) since the placebo group had reverted towards the baseline state while those in the active group showed continued improvement. The essential fatty acid levels were abnormal at the baseline and corrected by active treatment. There were no adverse events. We conclude that essential fatty acids provide a rational, safe and effective treatment for patients with the post-viral fatigue syndrome.

I've been trying this out using Efamarine for a few weeks which I believe is the same product they used in this trial.

alex3619

I was on protocols like this in 1993. They most definitely can induce side effects, including severe ones. However some tolerate it fairly well. We also know that the benefits can wear off or be unstable over time. The enzymes that respond to and use essential fatty acids includes the delta 6 and delta 5 desaturases, though there are others.

Having said that a change in cell membrane omega fat composition will improve what is called fluidity, the capacity for things to pass in and out of the membrane, including nutrients and wastes.

Look up Grey and Martinovic on PubMed. Only one of about six papers made it to PubMed.

Martinovic was my doctor at the time, I lived almost next to his surgery.

Tolerance to these fats also depends on purity.

You should know that omega 6 and omega 3 fats are both proinflammatory on balance, but omega 3 fats can counter omega 6 induced inflammation as they are much less inflammatory and compete with omega 6.

Both these fats induce or lead to synthesis of eicosanoids. It is likely based on many findings that we often both under utilize arachidonic acid precursors, which is the main effective omega 6 fat and highly inflammatory on balance, and we also over utilize arachidonic acid itself. So omega 6 supplementation can make things worse over time. I found this out the hard way. Look for an increase in inflammatory symptoms, especially headaches, to warn you.

Other factors which can change things, for good or worse, including things like magnesium, zinc (good), and sugar and alcohol (bad).

I am personally in favour of adding monounsaturated fat into this mix. I have posted many long posts on this topic here on PR in the past.

I also think short courses of these fats during infections might be beneficial, but this remains unproven.

halcyon

Both these fats induce or lead to synthesis of eicosanoids.
I have to guess that this is why the researchers in the study I listed found abnormal EFA levels, especially given the clinical evidence that some have found of elevated prostaglandin metabolites in the blood.

M Paine

I wonder if this product is close enough to the 2:1 ratio.

Nordic Naturals: Complete Omega

2.6:1 ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6.

I haven't been dosing quite as highly as the trial mentioned, purely because so far I've had trouble obtaining Omega-6 in sufficient quantity. Efamarine is not easily found here, and evening primrose oil was my current source, and would require an obscene amount of pills to obtain the suggested 1000mg.