• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CNN Is Reporting Nurse Cured of Ebola Now In Severe Relapse

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Found this quote in an article stating that the Ebola virus can be found in semen up to 9 months after infection.

"Jeremy Farrar, an infectious diseases expert and director of Britain's Wellcome Trust global health charity, said the findings highlighted "just how much we still don't understand about the Ebola virus, infection and recovery."

"It also reminds us that the Ebola epidemic could be far from over," he said. "With more than 17,000 Ebola survivors, it's possible that further cases of delayed transmission and late complications will occur.""

Late complications, hmmm.

Asa

Additional quotes:

"...Cafferkey [a 39-year-old nurse] back in the hospital with a rare relapse of the deadly virus..."

"Health officials say she has an "unusual late complication" from an earlier Ebola infection."

"...the same medical facility confirmed Cafferkey had been transferred there from Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow "due to an unusual late complication of her previous infection by the Ebola virus."

"An Ebola survivor participates in a study in Monrovia, Liberia... The country launched a five-year study to unravel the mystery of the long-term health effects that plague survivors of the viral disease..."

"Her relapse does not represent "a new case of Ebola (but rather) is a complication of her previous illness," Scotland's chief medical officer said Friday. It's a rare thing, but not necessarily unprecedented."

http://web.archive.org/web/20151015...m/2015/10/14/europe/uk-ebola-nurse/index.html

-------------------

Thousands of Liberians in 'Post-Ebola Syndrome' Study

"'The clinical course of Ebola virus disease is reasonably well-understood, but we still have much to learn about the long-term health effects of the illness in those who recover,' Anthony Fauci, of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) said in a statement."

"There has been little research on survivors, but the World Health Organization (WHO) has acknowledged that many are experiencing crippling complications long after walking out of Ebola treatment units (ETUs)."

"'We have realised that many survivors have come from the ETU complaining about health complications, but these complaints have not been documented..."

"'I am a survivor. Since I left the ETU I have been experiencing lots of health complaints,' Luke Tarplah told AFP. 'Right now my head is strongly hurting. Sometimes it is my entire body...'"

"The research team will follow the Ebola survivors and their close contacts for up to five years, examining them and tracking health issues every six months."

http://web.archive.org/web/20151015...liberians-in-post-ebola-syndrome-study-772718

------------------------

"Using data collected at these site visits, the researchers will calculate the incidence, prevalence and risk factors for various health issues experienced by survivors, such as vision problems; immune system changes; mental disorders; joint pain; diabetes; hypertension; and pregnancy complications."

http://web.archive.org/web/20151015093045/http://www.nih.gov/news/health/jun2015/niaid-17.htm

Last edited:

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Jeez, with Ebola re-emerging in this brave woman, I can't help but assume that there will be a concerted effort to understand what's going on, as evidenced by the bolded quotes above.

In my head, for a brief instance, I kind of hoped I could get Ebola too so that at least I could get a proper investigation into my m.e. symptoms.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Like a ME patient?
Or "Post Viral Syndrome".

The reoccurances are not the hemorrhagic fever (thank Heavens!) of the original infection, but a variety of "side effects" that are generally not highly contagious.

Last edited: