• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone getting die-off reaction with herbals vs antibiotic treatment for SIBO?

RUkiddingME

I have just started one of the two recommended herbal treatments for SIBO. I'm am taking Candibactin AR and Candibactin BR from Metagenics. I'm supposed to take two of each twice a day. I'm not up to the full dose yet and boy is it making all my ME/CFS symptoms worse. I can barely move :(. I know taking an antibacterial can cause some die off. I hope it's short lived as my functioning level is already low enough.

Gingergrrl

@RUkiddingME I was just curious if this is the herbal (non antibiotic regime) that is recommended by OMI for SIBO and suspected SIBO? I was also wondering how you are doing on the Valcyte and in general. You haven't updated your blog in a while and I was worried about you (and missed seeing your smiley avatar!)

helen1

The SIBO Centre in Portland OR uses up to three of these herbals for 4 weeks at maximum doses labelled on the product:

allicin
oregano oil
one of the berberine plants (goldenseal, oregon grape, barberry, and coptis chinensis)
neem
cinammon

I did a few weeks of neem and cinammon recently and have seen a slight improvement. I think I need to add a third and use them for a longer period. I'm with wayne and ahmo on coffee enemas. They really help some people (including me) alleviate nausea and general sick feeling.

The SIBO centre also list the best probiotics for SIBO as bacillus brevis, strep faecalis, l.plantarum, l.casei, b.clausii. Also lots of info there on the SIBO diet.

Hope things are going okay for you @RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME

@RUkiddingME I was just curious if this is the herbal (non antibiotic regime) that is recommended by OMI for SIBO and suspected SIBO? I was also wondering how you are doing on the Valcyte and in general. You haven't updated your blog in a while and I was worried about you (and missed seeing your smiley avatar!)
Hi@Gingergrrl, yes it is one of the treatments recommended by OMI. Sorry about not updating my Valcyte blog in a while, lots going on at home.... I will soon. Hope you are doing better:D

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@RUkiddingME
are you positive for lyme?

I just keep thinking something else is suppressing the immune system which is why viruses keep reactivating. I keep thinking about lerner saying non or partial responders to antivirals commonly have bacterial co infections and are hard to treat.

for myself if i stop avs or abx i get worse but different type of symptoms when stopping avs vs abx.

cheers

Gingergrrl

Hi@Gingergrrl, yes it is one of the treatments recommended by OMI. Sorry about not updating my Valcyte blog in a while, lots going on at home.... I will soon. Hope you are doing better:D

@RUkiddingME No worries and take your time. I totally understand re: lots going on at home! Hoping you are feeling better.

RUkiddingME

@RUkiddingME

I just keep thinking something else is suppressing the immune system which is why viruses keep reactivating. I keep thinking about lerner saying non or partial responders to antivirals commonly have bacterial co infections and are hard to treat.

for myself if i stop avs or abx i get worse but different type of symptoms when stopping avs vs abx.

cheers
@RUkiddingME

cheers
@heapsreal i am negative for Lyme and any co-infections. Only EBV and HHV6. The Valcyte doesn't seem to be doing its thing anymore so maybe treating the SIBO will help me better absorb stuff. I also tested positive for one MTHFR gene mutation which needs to be treated with Methyl B 12 and methyl folate which i haven't tackled yet as I have trouble with the methyl folate.;)

jess100

Now I'm curious. I went to OMI and they recommended antibiotics for SIBO so I researched herbals and asked if I could try that first. (different herbals than what is being discussed here) Is OMI now recommending herbals? If so good for them.

RUkiddingME

Now I'm curious. I went to OMI and they recommended antibiotics for SIBO so I researched herbals and asked if I could try that first. (different herbals than what is being discussed here) Is OMI now recommending herbals? If so good for them.
@jess100 I'm doing the herbals because I can't get Rifaximin in Canada. The Rifaximin would have been my first choice and OMI's first choice. The herbals are probably safer if I have to repeat the treatment. The die off was very short lived and I am not feeling too bad:thumbsup:

Last edited:

jess100

@jess100 I'm doing the herbals because I can't get Rifaximin in Canada. The Rifaximin would have been my first choice and OMI's first choice. The herbals are probably safer if I have to repeat the treatment. The die off was very short lived and I am not feeling too bad:thumbsup:
Hi My doctor told me to order my SIBO meds Rifaximin from Cananda thru Planet Drugs Direct.com You can probably get it there.

heapsreal

Clearsky pharmacy sell rifaximin well priced. Google the pharmacy.

RUkiddingME

Clearsky pharmacy sell rifaximin well priced. Google the pharmacy.
Thanks Heaps- have you ever used them? I'm a bit nervous about using a pharmacy which does not require a prescription. I would be scared not knowing if it's the actual drug I'm taking and have explain some weird side effects to my family doctor because I bought online drugs lol

heapsreal

Thanks Heaps- have you ever used them? I'm a bit nervous about using a pharmacy which does not require a prescription. I would be scared not knowing if it's the actual drug I'm taking and have explain some weird side effects to my family doctor because I bought online drugs lol

I have used them for a few things and its all been good.
I think alot of scare tactics come from local pharmacies as they dont like the competition.