• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IV glutathione

digital dog

Anyone had IV glutathione? If so, did it help you?
Was wondering if there are any doctors in the UK that would be willing to do this.
Is it primarily an immune booster?
Would like to give it a go if it isn't too expensive.
I also worry about tolerating the infusions.

ErdemX

According to Dr. Horowitz IV Glutathione helps to improve detox pathways, deal with toxin overload and Herx reactions. He also says that glutathione may play an important role in autoimmune responses.

"In patients with chronic inflammation there is sustained production of oxygen species (free radicals) , which increases oxidative stress. Glutathione is the principal component of the antioxidant defense system in living cells, and part of its role is to either stimulate or inhibit the immunological response in order to control inflammation."

In a small one to two month trial in his clinic he uses the doses between 400mg - 2000 mg IV glutathione per day and reports that its usually very well tolerated and there is clinical improvement ranging from 10 to 35 percent in cognitive, energy and pain problems.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
IV glutathione is not a "one size fits all." Some do well with it, some feel terrible, some do well with a low dose, some with a higher dose. If you find a willing doc, you and your doc might want to be cautious in dosing until you find out how you react. I found out the hard way that I did not do well with the usual dose of IV glutathione.

alice111

I feel obligated to advise you against iv. . . Everyone is different, but I would start low and slow. I did the iv over two years ago and went from mostly housebound to bedridden, and I still haven't recovered :(
Of course, we are all so different so this may have been some crazy fluke for me, but I would do anything to take it back

Gingergrrl

Why not try nebulized if you don't like the idea of the needle.

I will be trying nebulized glutathione with a respiratory therapist at the hospital where my MCAS doc works. It got delayed multiple times (b/c of how the prescription was written, then with special laws re: shipping it into my state, etc, etc) but it should arrive as early as next week and I can set up the appt. I personally will never try anything via the IV route again unless a matter of life and death like I had to do with IV Benadryl. But everyone is different and some have done great with IV's. I know even nebulizing it has it's risks but for me at this point, I feel I have nothing to lose in trying (nebulizer not IV.)

ETA: @knackers323 Have you tried nebulized glutathione and it so, how did it go?

Misfit Toy

IV glutathione made me anxious and have a high pulse rate. I never slept after it. My phase 2 liver has problems and it came back from a test that I should not take it. It does detox but if your body isn't strong enough or certain pathways aren't working things get "stuck." No NAC for me either.

Gingergrrl

IV glutathione made me anxious and have a high pulse rate. I never slept after it. My phase 2 liver has problems and it came back from a test that I should not take it. It does detox but if your body isn't strong enough or certain pathways aren't working things get "stuck." No NAC for me either.

I agree and I have liver detox issues too and MCAS doc said no to NAC b/c it triggers histamine. But some how the nebulized glutathione is supposed to reduce the inflammation in my lungs from the mold (at least that is the hope) and help my breathing. I tested my urine for sulfites first and am trying it at hospital in case anything goes wrong. I would not have done this a year ago but am so much sicker now, I am open to riskier things.

ETA: Also, the things in the past that I judged not to be risky at the time like an antibiotic, B vitamins, and IV saline almost killed me whereas things I judged to be risky ended up helping me. Not saying this will apply here, only hoping it is the case.

digital dog

I do not think this is something I will try. I cannot take another risk.
This sounds a little risky and I am EXTREMELY sensitive.
Thank you ever so much for these replies and I am very glad that it has helped some of you.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I had IV glutathione and felt a great decrease in inflammation. rectal pain that had been awful went away completely, I had an improvement in functioning of about 20% - felt a lot better for a few months, but I also had a myers type cocktail at the same time. The first dose made me start jerking and shaking so we slowed th infusion rate right down and did it over three hours rather than 45 minutes and that was good for me. After each infusion I felt really unwell for a few hours and had to just lay down and do nothing, but after a couple of weeks that wore off.

The iv's have been my vest treatment so far, but unfortunately not sustained, and sicne adding in another drug I am worse again.

Sidereal

The iv's have been my vest treatment so far, but unfortunately not sustained, and sicne adding in another drug I am worse again.

Sorry to hear this, justy. Which drug caused a deterioration if you don't mind me asking?

Glutathione seems really hit and miss. Some benefit, some feel nothing, some end up with a severe worsening, including becoming bedridden.

Gingergrrl

@justy I was curious, too, and am sorry to hear this. Hope it gets better or you can switch to a new med.

@Sidereal I agree glutathione is hit or miss. I took it in pill form and then liposomal liquid form for a long time with no side effects but also no benefit. This was before I had MCAS so I feel like all bets are off now. But two doctors I trust feel it is okay for me to try the nebulized form at the hospital so I am going to go for it. If it can help my breathing, I am up for the risk and doing it with informed consent.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Sorry to hear this, justy. Which drug caused a deterioration if you don't mind me asking?

Glutathione seems really hit and miss. Some benefit, some feel nothing, some end up with a severe worsening, including becoming bedridden.
Gamma Globulin injections at VERY low dose have made me a lot worse and I haven't decided wether to stop or carry on yet...

physicsstudent13

handicap, can mix bulk supplements glutathione powder with combivent and nebulize? how is absorption with this method?
what is the dose for powder?

overtheedge

What test did you do, I received a test showing my glutathione to be borderline low and am planning to take some reduced glutathione powder to bring it back to normal levels but don't want to run into any issues doing so.

Gingergrrl

I personally will never try anything via the IV route again unless a matter of life and death

I am quoting myself seeing this old thread from Oct 2015 b/c I am laughing at my own comment since I went on to do IVIG every three weeks and Rituximab. I guess take all of my old comments with a huge grain of salt LOL. Although in fairness, I did not know until March 2016 that I had these autoantibodies which changed everything. But it still makes me laugh.

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Have you tried Lipsomal Glutathione? Its part of Dr Lams protocol , and I can vouch for the Lipo C and G potency - the Lipo C is like rocket fuel.

http://www.supplementclinic.com/LipoNano_Glutathione_by_Dr_Lam_p/662425055241.htm

Combine that with some NAC and it would do the same job, but you can control the dosage.

I'd steer clear of IV anything to be honest - theres probably a whole host of toxic metals or waste running around sick body and trying to chelate them at maximum pelt is a surefire way to a big crash!