• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More Lyme affected Celebrities...

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
This is Yolanda Fosters youngest two children. It seems they were diagnosed at the same time as her in 2012, but have been keeping it a secret. Yolanda was diagnosed by KDM, but he is not treating her as far as I know.

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
I have a teenage daughter who follows Gigi (the other daughter) on Instagram and we enjoy watching Beverley Hills Housewives together (don't tell anyone though ;)). One of my best friends is convinced I have Lyme, rather than CFS. When I went for a NHS test I found myself excited at the possibility of a positive result, because then I felt more hopeful of treatment, and of being taken seriously.

I can see my daughter watching this Yolanda story all unfold with shock but also it's helping her cope with my illness, even though I don't have a Lyme diagnosis and not sure I'd get one. She herself had a tick embedded in her neck in the French Pyrenees a few years back. I've had Scottich ticks.

As a family, watching Yolanda struggle on and off in the public eye with an illness which looks and sounds very similar to mine, has been something that has really helped us to feel less isolated, glib as that might sound.

Last edited:

duncan

I read recently that two new Borrelia strains were uncovered in Scottish ticks. I'm not sure of the relevance to the NHS C6 screen. It probably has none, i.e., the strains likely carry the C6. But who knows?

The paper can be found in BioImpacts 2015 "Isolation and Characterization of Borrelia Burgdorfei Strains from Ixodes Ricinus Ticks in the Southern England." Edward C. Guy et al.

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
Thanks @duncan

I really struggle with cognition. I can only go so far in any sort of mental and/ or emotional effort before immediate exhaustion and/ or PEM hits ( I know that's not news to people on here).

I have to prioritise where I can utilise the energy I have, as I have to conserve everything I've got for parenting. That means I find myself avoiding uncovering information or doing anything that creates a chain of events that will then require more energy to be spent, if that makes any sense!

I have seen somewhere that I remember seemed credible that the Scottish Highlands is a place of prevalence for Lyme. I could convince myself either way to test further or not to. Right now I'm just too knackered.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Infections caught in Scotland and some parts of Europe are linked to a positive result on band 58kda on the Igenex test.

Tammy

Excuse my naivety........so were they all bitten by a tick? I have never understood lyme disease and how a person can get it other than getting a tick bite. It seems odd to me that they all got it at the same time.

Last edited:

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
I have no idea how they were infected but, in my experiences of having ticks, they were often found on somebody else in my party around the same time. I had no idea in those days that ticks might be anything to worry about.

I once brought a tick back from a holiday that was deeply embedded for a few days before I noticed it. It was massively engorged on my blood when I spotted it.

I do wish we'd get some celebrities coming out with CFS or ME though...

barbc56

I'm not knowledgeable about the prevelance of ticks in the LA area nor this particular situation but there are many rugged areas, especially in the mountains, for camping, hiking etc. close by. So I guess it's theoretically possible they were in such an area and were bitten by ticks.

They are equestrians.

Most likely not in places like Beverly Hills as the lawns are probably so soaked with chemicals they wouldn't survive. Even roaches.:rolleyes:

Barb

Last edited:
Excuse my naivety........so were they all bitten by a tick? I have never understood lyme disease and how a person can get it other than getting a tick bite. It seems odd to me that they all got it at the same time.
Ticks are all active at the same time of year, they favor the same sorts of terrain, and they have large nests. So one small area can end up being highly populated, where they'll acquire the same pathogens by feeding on the same animals or from their mutual Mama Tick.

If ticks are common in an area, then people are going to be in contact with them on a frequent basis - maybe even daily, or several times per day, if they spend a lot of time outdoors. Occasionally a tick will stay on long enough to transmit something, and usually an approximate percentage of the ticks in an area will be known to carry certain diseases.

In the countryside, where there are a lot of the natural host(s) which carries the disease, and a lot of human recreational areas, and a lot of tall-ish grass or plants ticks like to ambush from, and where a decent percentage of the ticks carry Lyme or co-infections, I don't think it would be at all odd for several people in the same family to get sick at the same time. That sort of situation is exactly how Lyme was first discovered in Connecticut, when a lot of children started having arthritis symptoms in a close enough time frame to draw suspicion.

It can also take a while for Lyme symptoms to manifest, and they might be mild for a while. So it's possible that one family member picks it up one summer, two more get in the next summer, and a couple more get it a few years down the road. Then someone progresses to severe neurological symptom, they get tested, are positive for Lyme, and the other family members who have also been exposed in the same area get tested too.

Martial

I'm not knowledgeable about the prevelance of ticks in the LA area nor this particular situation but there are many rugged areas, especially in the mountains, for camping, hiking etc. close by. So I guess it's theoretically possible they were in such an area and were bitten by ticks.

They are equestrians.

Most likely not in places like Beverly Hills as the lawns are probably so soaked with chemicals they wouldn't survive. Even roaches.:rolleyes:

Barb

I live in Los Angeles and lyme disease is definitely out here. Even confirmed through the local health departments acknowledging its existence. There is a place called Malibu State Creek Park off a road called Kanan Road.

They have signs everywhere there warning that ticks in the area have been tested and known to carry lyme disease. Even Southern California is covered in large mountainous regions such as the Santa Monica mountains.

It is very common for most people down here to go hiking pretty often as well. Also a lot of the houses are backed up right against the mountains in their backyards.

Having a very ritzy place in Beverly Hills is no exception, they could have been even bit back in Europe. However I have been hiking many times around here, one time before getting sick I once pulled off 7 ticks from one hike in a local trail!