• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Killer count and function - questions

littlebird6180

Here are my numbers:
NK cell enumeration: 3.74% LOW (normal mean 8%) 61/cumm (normal mean 177/cumm).

NK cell activity: 4.82% LOW (normal mean 28.1%) I fall in the less than 10th percentile with 12/74% being the 10th percentile.

Does this mean I'm more likely to get cancer since NK cells are cancer eating cells? How often do doctors typically re-measure this and has anyone here seen a measurable difference? If yes, what helped?

I've been sick for almost 20 years. Ever since I got mono at age 15. I had issues before then but when mono and puberty happened in the same year, all my symptoms began. I hate the notion that anyone gets "used" to feeling sick but to me, after this much time, I don't know anything else. I have found a way to function but its' sad because I just don't know who I am outside of this illness. I am aware of my limitations every day. But it wasn't until a few months ago that I actually got a formal diagnosis. What surprised me is that according to my blood work, my body is sicker than even I feel. I'm not in a constant state of emotional stress about my health--not after 20 years but the doctor said that based on my blood work (cortisol levels, depleted vit d + b, immune function, cytokines...etc), my body is in an extreme state of stress. It was sort of a wake up call to me to see it on paper. That I really have to address this. When you look at the number, my health problems that seem to elude everyone (including myself) are suddenly not vague at all.

Anyway, that's a little context for my questions. Thanks in advance!

jess100

I'm in a similar situation with NK cells and have the same questions-what's my cancer risk and risk of other disease? I also don't know why my NK cells are so low. Are they busy fighting the viruses (EBV, CMC, etc) ? Or do I have the viruses because I don't have NK cells?
I also now believe that it doesn't matter how much I take of vit. D, biotin, etc. because I don't think my body is absorbing any of it except (hopefully) the B12 oil that I put on my skin. Any maybe this lack of absorption was the start of everything (no D or B vitamins, no zinc being absorbed-leads to poor immune function) I'm not sure of that but trying very hard to treat the SIBO in hopes of regaining more health.

I hope you find some answers to this. I think we are not alone in the mono then chronic sickness category. I seem to hear that very often, and in fact Dr. Kaufman said the same thing.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Any anatomy and physiology book explains nk cells fight viruses and cancer cells . So if one has a reduced amount or they dont function well than we would think our immune system would struggle with viruses etc. Its common sense .

But i dont understand why most drs seem to ignore this. Maybe they had the pages of their anatomy book stuck together on the section about nk cells???

littlebird6180

I'm in a similar situation with NK cells and have the same questions-what's my cancer risk and risk of other disease? I also don't know why my NK cells are so low. Are they busy fighting the viruses (EBV, CMC, etc) ? Or do I have the viruses because I don't have NK cells?
I also now believe that it doesn't matter how much I take of vit. D, biotin, etc. because I don't think my body is absorbing any of it except (hopefully) the B12 oil that I put on my skin. Any maybe this lack of absorption was the start of everything (no D or B vitamins, no zinc being absorbed-leads to poor immune function) I'm not sure of that but trying very hard to treat the SIBO in hopes of regaining more health.

I hope you find some answers to this. I think we are not alone in the mono then chronic sickness category. I seem to hear that very often, and in fact Dr. Kaufman said the same thing.

I was just told you have to be sure to take the vit D with fat (annoying how doctors don't tell you these things). Where did you get b12 oil. Want to know about that?

SOC

I was just told you have to be sure to take the vit D with fat (annoying how doctors don't tell you these things).
I have to take a lot of vitamin D just to keep my levels near the low end of normal range. I've had the best luck by taking a liquid vit D supplement in an oil base sublingually. Not sure why sublingual would make a difference, but it seems to for me. The fact that it's in an oil base makes certain you get some fat with it, which is helpful.

FWIW, this one has been working for me when others have not.