• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I am using B12 Adeno - do I need Hydroxy B12 or Methyl B12 as well?

Bansaw

OK, so according to my SNPs, I have to take Adeno B12 which I am doing.
Now I think Is hould add another B12 to it.
I am trying to make up my mind if I need Hydroxy B12 or Methyl B12, - which one is best?

whodathunkit

I like methyl. I've gotten A LOT of benefit from it. But depending on snps some people seem to do better with hydroxy. I don't know which snps indicate hydroxy instead of methyl, though. Sorry about that. A little trial of methyl might be able to steer you in the right direction if no one pipes up with that info.

If you don't mind saying, which snps indicate adeno?

Tammy

I don't know how long you have been on the Adeno B12 but I would stay with that for awhile to see how you do on it before adding in another form. That way you will know which might be working best for you.

Bansaw

thanks, all. Also I was wondering about Lithium, as B12 supposedly depletes it.

ahmo

I started lithium before B12/folate. It was excellent for my mood. Now, I'm using it approx. every other day. I've read a number of references to it helping B12 transport.

As I was searching for something re adenoB12, I came across this interesting comment from a pr thread:

Dr Yasko found that at the MTR/MTRR junction the heavy metals, mercury and lead, tend to park on these 2 enzymes which can antagonise MB12. You may find MB12 going further if you start chelating these heavy metals. Aluminum (on the bottom left DHPR circle) is another one which it would be advantageous to lower as well, as it hinders the conversion of BH2 to BH4,which would be helpful for you having a A1298C++ mutation.

Mixing B12 types and Brands, ratios Freddd July 2014
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mixing-b12-types-and-brands-ratios.31434/

At long last I have some approximate answers about the effects of ratios of different brands and forms of b12. This is a question that has been up for a long time. It may explain why CyCbl and HyCbl appear able to block MeCbl and AdoCbl. As I have suspected for some years AdoCbl also can block MeCbl.

Through the years various people have indicated a need for different proportions of AdoCbl to MeCbl. I had started out with AdoCbl once a week and up to daily at every dose in a mix. I have found that if the amount of the lesser quantity falls below 20% or so it appears to have no effect. So at 50-50 both have some effect for me but not optimal. The same happens with a 5 star MeCbl combined with a less effective brand. When the 5 star MeCbl gets down to 20% or so of total all it’s specific benefit goes away and startup can happen all over again.

So CyCbl and HyCbl can block MeCbl and/or AdoCbl when either of those falls below 20%. AdoCbl can block MeCbl at 20%. MeCbl can block AdoCbl at 20%. but then behaves like straight MeCbl with some limited conversion to AdoCbl. Three star MeCbl can block 5 star MeCbl at the same 20% or so.

So for me now, I am back to a single dose of AdoCbl a week, just as I had accidently found 10 years ago. I take a single dose of 25-50mg aver several hours in place of one of my MeCbl injections. I’m still trialing the optimum amount. The point is for it to be fully effective it has to be the more than 50% type of b12 in circulation for several hours. Too much AdoCbl for too long and I go into partial methylation block or worse.

However, it takes trials for an individual to determine what is optimum ratios for themselves. Based on very limited experience I would be inclined to say take the doses of different kinds of B12 at different times per day so that each can be distributed best to the tissues.

For me, that appears to be substituting one 25-50mg sublingual dose over 3-4 hours of AdoCbl for one 10mg MeCbl injection each week.

...Lot’s of people have asked me what the “ideal” ratio between AdoCbl and MeCbl is and I could only tell them that different people have different results. Now I can say “It is individual, within certain limits. That blocking can occur with MeCbl, whether made in the body from other forms or from supplements explains a lot of puzzling research results through the years. It also explains the necessity of Transcobalamin III (holotranscobalamin III when cobalamin attached) to mop up and deliver to the liver for excretion all non active forms of cobalamin. The study in 1959 that actually identified the REAL B12s through x-ray crystallography determines that AdoCbl and MeCbl made UP OVER 98% of all cobalamins in liver extract instead of that mistake that named the ineffective and even dangerous CyCbl as “B12” in 1948 and received the Nobel Prize for it.

So, inactive cobalamins can block MeCbl if it is too low a percentage of total cobalamins causing partial methylation block or even methyltrap. People taking CyCbl and/or HyCbl still get hundreds of MeCbl and AdoCbl deficiency symptoms up to and including Subacute Combined Degeneration without hypothesizing the necessity of Cobalamin A, B, C ,D etc type genetic polymorphisms. Now it can be modeled effectiverly via pharmacokinetic methods and make sense with one more factor added, which will be my next post on how folate effectiveness status affects serum half life of cobalamins.

...‘Im taking 50mg a week generally, but as a single long dose. I find I need to get to that higher level to get the diffusion into the CNS. 10mg a day for me, doesn’t penetrate the CNS adequately. My daughter needed a dose a day AdoCbl, with a higher dose being more effective. So this one is very individual in how it is dosed. I also find a daily dosing more effective if it is the entire dose one time a day rather than mixed at the same time with MeCbl. I find that works better alone also. Each way of taking it can produce different effects. The question is “Which is better for me over time?” Changing the balance of AdoCbl/MeCbl affects mood, personality and energy.

It is a difficult climb out of the hole. When I started healing 11 years ago I had no idea that it could possibly end up as successful as it has been. For me it is learning to manage the metabolic and nutritional quirkiness of my body. First there are the hit’em over the head symptoms. The last 5 years it has been much more subtle, learning what gets in the way of the healing the rest of the way. When I don’t get enough of xxxx then that specific deficiency or insufficiency increases symptoms. Learning that many things are subtle, not hard core deficiencies, but rather just not optimum, was important. It’s like learning that folate insufficiency happens in about 6 levels in the body and some can be insufficient at the same time as other layers are fully sufficient. That is confusing for many that one can have both characteristics at the same time; paradoxical. Keeping things going smoothly and finding additional things that can provide incremental improvement is what I have been trying to do for 11 years. Mostly it is a long term following of clues. Each time something is added other things need to be re-evaluated be because they all affect each other.
About AdB12
AdB12
Freddd, from thread re detox:
it is the adb12 that generates ATP in the mitochondria and whose lack can casue total fatigue, all sorts of muscle and neurological pain and so on. I cured myself of CFS and FMS and many more symptoms starting 9 years ago.

Glutathione and NAC that are both said to cause “detox” are actually causing severe folate and if continued, b12 deficiencies and even brain and/or cord damage from these induced deficiencies.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/symptoms-by-deadlock-quartet-and- other-nutrients.27482/#post-423015
Freddd: This (anti-inflammatory) is the third major role for AdoCbl. The first is mitochondria at the heart of ATP production and the second is processing fatty acids for myelin generation for healing nerves. Those are not in this paper. An important understanding is that with zinc it a complete fix for the inflammation and NO with no nasty leftovers like HyCbl leaves behind. She did the “scarlet pimpernel” papers before this and a whole lot of others, on HyCbl before this one and is an oncologist. I can’t wait to see the next one.

whodathunkit

Glutathione and NAC that are both said to cause “detox” are actually causing severe folate and if continued, b12 deficiencies and even brain and/or cord damage from these induced deficiencies.
Thanks for re-posting this nugget, ahmo. :thumbsup: I actually remember reading it a long time ago but it's a keeper and I'd forgotten it.

I've had to bump up both folate and mB12 recently and induced deficiency from taking glutathione precursors a while back may be why. I also suspect my maintenance dose of folate may have just been too low. But combined with taking NAC + glutamine + glycine for glutathione production, definitely it was too low. I started not feeling very good while doing this, and things have been a bit different since. Not bad, but a little more "vulnerable", if you will. This quote probably explains why. I'm in the process of getting all my levels back up again, trying to prevent what felt like an impending crash. So far so good. Odd runny nose and minor flu-y type symptoms that indicate folate deficiency for me, but I'm still up and going, still able to exercise, etc. And symptoms go away when I dose. We'll see how it goes.

An important understanding is that with zinc it a complete fix for the inflammation and NO with no nasty leftovers like HyCbl leaves behind.
This, too. :thumbsup:

Both these quotes explain some things for me. Hafta keep them in mind. :)

Last edited: