• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

simplify

Pretty sure im not posting in the right place but i gotta be heard. Im not a functional human being in the morning and almost like a normal human being at night. But when i start to go for a 45min walk at some point in the day time. (Doesn't work with night walks) i suddenly start waking up earlier and im properly awake. Im functional and i don't know what to do with myself. Sleeping is still late but would have got earlier if i had of kept going with it. (Burning Australian sun)

Can someone please tell me they have a similar story or try this for them selves. Please. Ive tried the jym, night walks, melatonin is bs. Shifting sleep both ways... also i find banning myself from tv 100% affects me positively. One more thing. I have a friend with the same problem and we both have experienced that when we are intimate with our partners we can fall asleep earlier

Last edited by a moderator:

SOC

Please go for a 45min walk during the day and tell me if your sleep starts to normalize
Hah! Most of the people with ME here couldn't possibly go for a 45 minute walk, much less in the heat of the sun. Many of us can't walk a block. Some of us can't walk across a room. A 45 minute walk would PEM many of us and consequently cause serious sleep disruption. Normalizing sleep with a 45 minute walk is highly unlikely with ME.

I have found that going for a 45 min vigorous walk some time during the day makes me wake up earlier. Mormally if i wake up its like lights on and no1 home.
After 3-4 days of going for a walk i begin to wake up naturally just that little bit earlier, without assistance. I get out of bed and im capable of actually doing things.
Sorry if im confusing. Ill try do better.
I want to know if this would work for anyone else.
Btw. Im new here can someone plz catch me up with the anagrams.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Walk for 45 minutes? Hahah. That's funny. Lol I'm housebound wnd can barely get from my bed to the sofa.

And as SOC said, thinking that a walk would fix sleep problems indicates a lack of understanding of ME/CFS and over simplifies a serious issue.

I have delayed sleep phase and ME. I can;t do a 45 mins walk.

I can do 20-25 mins on a very rare good day with lots of breaks, lying down later and orthopedic shoes - , and it does zero for my sleep.

I agree that you are in the wrong forum.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Everyone who can go for a 45 minute walk raise their hand......(sound of crickets chirping).

To the original poster, you've made a wrong turn on the Internet, we return you to Google, happy trails.

I think so. Ha ha. Will their ever be help for circadian rhythm disorder (which is what i googled for). Probs not. Sos peeps

In my defense for a 45 min walk. Its not like i dragged my fat bum out of bed 1 afternoon, put on some tights and started. I did build up 2 it gradually. And it is a disorder ive had since I was a kid, so i have had to learn how to cope with this through homelessness and single parenting. any way. Hope theirs a break through some where and dr.s stop being stupid

sarah darwins

In my defense for a 45 min walk. Its not like i dragged my fat bum out of bed 1 afternoon, put on some tights and started. I did build up 2 it gradually. And it is a disorder ive had since I was a kid, so i have had to learn how to cope with this through homelessness and single parenting. any way. Hope theirs a break through some where and dr.s stop being stupid

Good on you. You've had a lot to cope with. People with me/cfs can't do that kind of building up of stamina. Even if we start really small (like a 3 minute walk) and keep adding tiny amounts, pretty soon we hit some invisible wall and get really sick. It's one of the greatest frustrations of this illness.

Good luck to you, anyway.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Even if we start really small (like a 3 minute walk) and keep adding tiny amounts, pretty soon we hit some invisible wall and get really sick.
And it is really a problem if you hit that wall 5 minutes into a planned 10 minute walk. (or 2 minutes into a 4 minute walk!) It has happened to me, once in a parking lot and once on a neighborhood street. What to do? I sat down on the ground and after a long while, got back home (or to my car), with baby steps--one step, wait and recover, second step....

That is when I applied for handicapped parking!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@s.rae.j, the reason your 45-minute daytime (and not your night-time) walks are helping your circadian rhythm is because having sunlight fall on the retina affects the part of the brain that controls your sleep/wake cycle. You might even have the same improvement by sitting outside and doing nothing sometime before 10 a.m. or exposing yourself to a light box inside your home. Why 10 a.m.? Because that's what my doctor said.

The following are forums I found when I Googled "circadian rhythm sleep disorder forum"

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-boards/forum/circadian-rhythm-disorders
http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?/forum/42-sleep-disorders-perchance-to-dream

The above forums may have other helpful people experiencing the same thing as you, or not. We are not the best guinea pigs here as we have many other severe symptoms that affect our ability to function. While we don't expect that you would arrive in this forum knowing all about myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.), we hope that you would take our word for it that many here are unable to walk for ten minutes due to severe fatigue, weakness and pain. Some use a wheelchair to get around. Some are bed-ridden and totally homebound.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you will find some help with your sleep disorder. Many people here have sleep disorders, and could commiserate, but I think you lost your way on the Internet and you need to seek help from a much healthier group of people.