• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beta blockers and epipen?

sillysocks84

I have had some food allergy issues and my doctor said they sound anaphylactic and she was going to prescribe me an epipen. But then she didn't because my heart rate is always high. Should I be on a beta or calcium channel blocker so I can safely use an epi? I think beta is not safe with epi but don't know about calcium channel blockers.

JAH

I take beta blockers and have a prescription for an epi pen. Not saying this as advice, just reporting what docs have given me.

I completely agree with sushi that this is a question for your doctor.

JAH

sillysocks84

Thank you, I'be been waiting for my gp to call me with my appt for the cardio so I'll ask at that appt.

SOC

This is a question that only your doctor or cardiologist could answer. If you read some of the threads here you will see that some members are dealing with anaphylactic reactions to food with different medications.
@sillysocks84
I agree with Sushi, that only your doctor could answer this question. This is a safety issue that should be carefully addressed by an expert.

FWIW, I was given a calcium channel blocker instead of a beta blocker because I have used a rescue inhaler in the past. The CCB works fine for me.