• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Confused about Probiotics and Tregs.

Ema

I am reading this article, Influence of Dietary Components on Regulatory T Cells, and I keep having questions. Hopefully someone can help!

So Tregs modulate the immune response and can prevent an autoimmune or inflammatory response, in a nutshell.

But the article says that Tregs are stimulated by TGF-b1. I thought that many with MECFS, and certainly many with mold illness, have *high* TGF-b1 already. I know mine is off the charts. So, shouldn't I already have plenty of Tregs? Would increasing Tregs further by using a probiotic even be a good idea?

Also, from the article:

It is suggested that probiotics have direct effects on Tregs by interfering with nuclear factor (NF)-κB degradation. In accordance, Lactobacillus plantarum is able to block NF-κB degradation via blockage of proteasome function.

Don't most with MECFS also have high NF-kB? Wouldn't blocking degredation of it be a *bad* thing? Is this another strain to avoid?

The next sentence suggests that other strains, such as B infantis, do reduce NF-kB activation and increase Tregs.

Additionally, oral application of the probiotic strain B. infantis reduced NF-κB activation and increased the numbers of FoxP3+ cells in mucosa and spleen, counterbalancing the NF-κB–activating properties of pathogenic strains such as Salmonella typhimurium (25).

So is there anything to be taken from this article at this point regarding the immune system and probiotics? I realize most of it is still speculative but since there are so many types of probiotics available and many of us take them, it seems wise to try to pick the best one for our own individual situation.

The article also discusses Vitamins A and D, gluten and fatty acids.

sillysocks84

Is it possible we don't have an appropriate number of tregs, so tgfb1 is constantly trying to stimulate something that isn't there or not in appropriate amount? Don't even know if that's possible.