• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Free Celiac disease screening tests @ University of Chicago, Oct 17

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
For anyone in the Chicago area that hasn't had CD ruled out yet, or thinks they might have co-morbid CD:

University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center runs a once yearly free screening.
For those not familiar, this is the antibody testing (blood tests), if you test positive you would need an endoscopic biopsy to confirm (no idea whether this is also covered by the free program).

you also need to still be on a gluten-containing diet, or go back on a "gluten challenge" for the tests to work (you need to have an ongoing auto-immune reaction to produce the antibodies )

Free Blood Screening October 17, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
There is no charge to be screened, but registration is mandatory.

You are eligible for the Blood Screening if:
  • You have been on a gluten-containing diet for at least 12 weeks prior to testing;
  • You have a close family member that has celiac disease or Type 1 diabetes;
  • You have Down Syndrome;
  • You have a related autoimmune condition such as rheumatoid arthritis, MS, or Addison's Disease;
  • You have digestive problems, chronic fatigue, osteopenia/osteoporosis, or Type 1 diabetes;
  • You have other related symptoms or conditions.
REGISTRATION CLOSES MODAY 10/7
REGISTER NOW >>

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/blood-screening-sign-up-form

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Kyla. I'm getting that test in a few weeks but she said nothing to me about a diet

I usually eat Mostly gluten free so do I have to eat gluten before the test?

Thanks.

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
I just saw this. So a test in 2 weeks would probably be worthless according to this since I don't eat much gluten

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/ar...ed-prior-to-being-screened-for-celiac-disease
I'm not an expert, but from what I've been told I think you would still be okay since you are still eating gluten. (Ie - you never went 100% gluten- free?)
You could purposely eat more until then if you can't reschedule.

It is also possible you might be eating more than you think - speaking as someone who has had to thoroughly eliminate it because of CD, it hides in a lot of places

I am baffled that you would not have been told this by whoever scheduled the test. That is disheartening that doctors still don't know the testing protocols :(

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I eat very simply so it's doubtful I'm eating enough gluten to show in a test even if I did have some. From what I've been reading you need the equivalent of 2 slices of bread a day for at least 6 weeks. I'll do it next labs in w few months.

I'm not surprised about her. She also told me I probably don't have SIBO because i have constipation. Totally untrue.

I know if I had serious problems I wouldn't go to her. She's in my plan and geographically desirable.

In just glad you posted this. I had no idea.