• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Baraniuk Survey On PWME/CFS's Experiences In The ER

Hello,

My name is Christian Timbol and I work in Dr. Baraniuk's lab. Thank you for posting the link to the survey.

I created the survey with the intent of bringing to light CFS/ME patient experiences in the emergency department (ED). Please consider completing this ANONYMOUS survey. All responses are informative. If you have not gone to the ED for CFS/ME related symptoms, please share your reasons in this survey.

http://goo.gl/forms/hl6DJBV5c9

Thank you so much,

Christian Timbol
Medical Student c/o 2016

Denise

@baraniuklab - Interesting idea!

How widely can this be shared?
Is the survey US based or international?
How are you planning to disseminate the results?

*GG*

Hello,

My name is Christian Timbol and I work in Dr. Baraniuk's lab. Thank you for posting the link to the survey.

I created the survey with the intent of bringing to light CFS/ME patient experiences in the emergency department (ED). Please consider completing this ANONYMOUS survey. All responses are informative. If you have not gone to the ED for CFS/ME related symptoms, please share your reasons in this survey.

Thank you so much,

Christian Timbol
Medical Student c/o 2016

Welcome to the Forum, glad you found us ;)

GG

Denise

@baraniuklab

Thanks for clarifying.

Is the survey restricted to a single user in a household or can if be taken by multiple affected people in one household?

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
Hello All,

I appreciate all the attention this has received.

The survey is not limited to the US.

Our intent is to publish the data as a research article.
Hi @baraniuklab
happy to fill out the survey, just wanted to point out that as a non-american there is no answer that fits for what kind of insurance I have. This will be the case for anyone from a country with socialized healthcare.

Thanks.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Hi @baraniuklab, Christian, thank you for spending your time on this disease! Your age range starts at 18, would you be interested in the responses of a 17 year old and his mother anyway?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hello,

Thank you so much,

Christian Timbol
Medical Student c/o 2016

Brilliant that you're looking at this, Christian. It's a very important topic - please also pass our thanks on to Dr Baranuik.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@baraniuklab I did the survey too. I only had one quibble with a question: something like "How does walking a long distance affect your symptoms?" I didn't see a choice that would fit many of us, which would be--I am unable to walk a long distance.

Thanks for doing this survey!

Gemini

Last edited:

Denise

Having just been to the ER this survey is timely! Agree with others, it's quick & easy to do.

The hospital physicians/staff were not knowledgeable about ME/CFS.Needed are ER Guidelines for treating ME/CFS patients covering symptoms that often lead to ER visits.

Sorry you had to go to the emergency department. (And I am sorry any patient has to!)

Am I correct in thinking that IACFSME mentioned at the August CFSAC meeting that they are developing guidelines for emergency department? I can't check the CFSAC minutes or presentations because they aren't posted yet.

Gemini

Am I correct in thinking that IACFSME mentioned at the August CFSAC meeting that they are developing guidelines for emergency department? I can't check the CFSAC minutes or presentations because they aren't posted yet.
Good news! I hope you're correct! Perhaps you can post here when the minutes are released?

Hope they base their guidelines on patient input/experience.

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
I realized after I already finished taking the survey that I forgot to mention among the most problematic issues with the ER: its sensory intensive nature. It's one of the main reason I avoid the place like the plague, including a few times I probably should have gone (but, hey, I'm still alive so it all worked out, right? :cautious:). It might be helpful to have questions about what makes symptoms worse at the ER -- too much light, movement, noise, long hallways to walk down, etc. Just a thought.

But thank you for doing this. It's among my biggest frustrations over the years that I cannot go to an ER with any confidence that the clinicians there will know anything about my disease (how to treat it or at least not make it worse) -- or even that I will be treated with respect. This is a huge problem for patients.