• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Denied Disability in Canada, not sure what to do?

I was on disability for a year and I am not sure what has changed so much to be denied? It was to do with my thyroid and now that the doctor has "diagnosed" me with CFS they deny the disability? so confused? I only cried like an hour after I received the letter yesterday!:(:(:(

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @Sillyrabbit

There are a few places that can help in case you don't want to lay it all out on the forum.

National ME/FM Action Network has a good ressource regarding disability on their website. Secondly, your provincial association can be very helpful as well.

i can try to help you out. Are you talking about work disability insurance or CPP?

If you are talking about orivate disability, oftentime policies have a 2years coverage for your own occupation. After 2 years, you need to prove disability for ANY occupation. insurance companies do not want to approve you forever, because it costs them.

It means you need to have a very good physician who documents your illness and proof of disabilty. It is not impossible to prove, and very often patients get refusal letter. do not give up.

Best.

Kati

Patient in training
I was on disability through Unemployment? the government? I was not working already when I was diagnosed?

i am not entirely sure what you are talking about, whether it is RRQ (Regie des Rentes du Quebec) or CPP (Canada Pension Plan) or you are talking about the disability allowance for welfare. Regardless, ME/FM Action Network has very good pointers as of what needs to happen. You need to visit your doctor regularily. Make sure to document your symptoms and your activities every day. You need to prove you are unable to work. The physician needs to be convinced you cannot work.

http://www.mefmaction.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=425&Itemid=364

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Social Assistance may be an option depending on where you are in Canada. I think the options vary based on province and territory. The Yukon has a secondary kind of SA called schedule B where a person receives the regular social assistance payment plus some extra due to a doctor approved disability.

I was denied CPP based on a technicality so I rely on Social Assistance. I'm grateful and fortunate to have it.

In Canada, CPP (Canadian Pension Plan) is not based on a specific diagnosis -- it's based on level of disability. You need to get a doctor to fill out the form. They have to say you can't work at any job for any amount of time. The amount you get is based on previous earnings and doesn't include income earned by a spouse/partner.

There is also the provincial disability program which is means tested. Other than that I don't know much about it.

Which disability program did you get refusal from -- it's not clear -- it sounds like it was related to your Unemployment Insurance.

You can still apply for CPP and/or Provincial Insurance but you must be able to show you can't work at any job in any capacity.

caledonia

I only know about US disability, but I assume there are similarities between the various countries.

#1, you need to find out which disability plan you got denied for. The letter should have that info.

Does the letter also have info about appealing the denial? Is there a deadline?

You sound very confused. I suggest getting some assistance, such as from a lawyer or someone else very knowledgeable, to help with a denial. Get started now, so you don't miss the deadline to appeal.

Here is a link to the CPP Guide for ME/CFS from ME/FM Action Network. Looks like it has a lot of great info.

http://www.mefmaction.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=425&Itemid=364

You should also see if you're eligible for any other disability or social services and if so, apply for that.

L'engle

moogle
If you are going through social services, they should be able to link you with a social worker who can help advocate for you and clear up the confusion. It is hard to get without somebody helping you I think. Basically let them do what they can and answer any questions as best you are able. If you are unable to answer or get overwhelmed they should be able to advocate for you. It can be a stressful process. You should appeal the decision and hopefully the agency will be able to step in and help you. At that point you become more the passive part of the process as you are assumed to be not capable of dealing with it yourself and to be focused on self care. I was very distraught during my application and the social worker really stepped in and helped.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Sillyrabbit
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I plan to try for disability too as I am in need but am dreading the process it might entail.
I hope you find a satisfactory resolution.

Snookum96

I am on private disability through the employer I was with when I got sick. They did have a 2 year period for own occupation as Kati mentioned.

I was originally off for depression and I did apply for CPP disability but was denied, despite the fact that I was approved for the disability tax credit. That makes no sense to me but that's how government works I guess.

Do you have a good relationship with your doctor? I actually sit with my GP while she fills things out so I can answer questions as she goes, otherwise she just fills it out to the best of her ability and gets things wrong.

Good luck!

Kati

Patient in training
I am on private disability through the employer I was with when I got sick. They did have a 2 year period for own occupation as Kati mentioned.

I was originally off for depression and I did apply for CPP disability but was denied, despite the fact that I was approved for the disability tax credit. That makes no sense to me but that's how government works I guess.

Do you have a good relationship with your doctor? I actually sit with my GP while she fills things out so I can answer questions as she goes, otherwise she just fills it out to the best of her ability and gets things wrong.

Good luck!

That's actually weird you were denied for CPP and surprising that your ins. co. Is not complaining about that. i was lucky to have the help of a local disability organization which helps people filling out their government disability forms. The wording is very important.

taniaaust1

I was on disability for a year and I am not sure what has changed so much to be denied? It was to do with my thyroid and now that the doctor has "diagnosed" me with CFS they deny the disability? so confused? I only cried like an hour after I received the letter yesterday!:(:(:(

Im not in your country but I assume they have some social workers connected with the disability through the gov unemployment? I strongly suggest to contact one and see if she can help you find out the whys of the rejection with the new diagnoses, it may turn out to be something easily fixed.. form filled out differently etc. (dealing with government depts. alone is very very hard!).

Yes I have made some contact and they say I can try again and dispute it! I just think it is so stressful to even try to prove to everyone that I am really sick! Somedays I feel like it is only in my head and maybe I am just not sick enough to be sick? I don't know I find it so hard to try to have to fight for myself, I am always second guessing myself !

Hello there, new to this forum. I live in Toronto and I'm applying for long-term disability through my insurance company next week. I was on short-term, tried going back to work and it was just too much. Does anyone have experience with LTD through insurance and if so are you comfortable sharing?

Dufresne

almost there...
I'm on Quebc social assistance and they understand I've a seriously limited capacity for work. They started me off at the minimum but bumped me up to about a thousand a month (with the tax credit) within six months. I didn't even have to request the increase. It's still not much money, everything considered, but I get by. I'm grateful for it and the fact they haven't bugged me at all about work. It's going on four years without a peep from them. And we have a program in Quebec that takes care of almost all drugs free of charge for those of us receiving assistance.

It might help somewhat for your doctor to use the term myalgic encephalomyelitis, for obvious reasons.

Kati

Patient in training
Hello there, new to this forum. I live in Toronto and I'm applying for long-term disability through my insurance company next week. I was on short-term, tried going back to work and it was just too much. Does anyone have experience with LTD through insurance and if so are you comfortable sharing?

Make sure you have a good doctor. Make sure dr documents your symptoms adequately. Visit National MEFM Action Network website and be sure to read all the info regarding long term disability including CPP. You will need to apply for CPP as well (your private ins. co. will deduct that money from the total amount you get). start gathering evidence, including consultation reports, labs.

Journal your symptoms and activities. In addition, journal the phone calls regarding medical and insurance people and your medical appointments. This comes handy as time passes by, we tend to forget what was said, what happened.

Be aware that there is a big possibility you will be surveilled.

Sending best wishes. Remember that the insurance company will do everything to deny you. Do not give up. And remember this will stretch over a few months.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Kati, that's all great info. I didn't know I also had to apply for CPP simultaneously.

What do you mean by 'you will be surveiled'?

Did you have to go see the ins. company's doctors and if so, what did that entail?

Kati

Patient in training
Hi Ilan, when
I say expect to be surveiled, I mean someone will be sent to your home to see you are not shovelling snow when you are saying you are totally disabled. In my disability file, there were pictures of my condo building and notes that twice they came and did not see me (I was in bed).

A good blog to read about disability, even if it's US Content, is very helpfull, google Linda Nee disability blog.

I was not sent to see their own dr but they sent me for a functional capacity assessment by a physio, for 2days. It's was difficult and after the first day, it felt like I was run over by a truck. The physio disregarded that and felt I was deconditionned and that I should have aggressive physio then return to work.

It didn't quite go like that.

A 2 consecutive days exercise test could prove useful if you have ME to prove disability. I don't know your specifics, but speaking with your provincial association could be helpful. There is usually people within the association who is knowledgeable with disability insurance.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Kati I never had to do that but if I did I'd make sure I hadn't slept.

People think they should do their best. Wrong. Do your worst

Oh when I got approved they made me apply for social security so they could pay me less.

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati I never had to do that but if I did I'd make sure I hadn't slept.

People think they should do their best. Wrong. Do your worst

Oh when I got approved they made me apply for social security so they could pay me less.

I disagree with 'doing your worst' because the reports specifically asks whether the patients showed reasonable effort. In the end, an employee must do what is required of them.

What won my disability insurance is in my opinion my 2 day exercise test (CPET) and seeing a ME expert who knew what to look for and how to present the facts.