• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Manuka honey, vitamin U, raw Apple cider vinegar

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have ibs C. I got some betaine which helped a lot with cramps, bloat and constipation. It makes sense I have low acid with some symptoms I have. But I found out you shouldn't take it with NSAID's which I'm currently on so I'm stopping it for now.

Has anyone had luck with Manuka Honey ($$$$$$$) Vitamin U it Apple cider vinegar? I also read a good raw honey night work.

I see my GI tomorrow but if I remember from the last time I saw her she wasnt too up on "alternative" stuff. I'm on my own.

Any ideas?

Thanks

alkt

I have ibs C. I got some betaine which helped a lot with cramps, bloat and constipation. It makes sense I have low acid with some symptoms I have. But I found out you shouldn't take it with NSAID's which I'm currently on so I'm stopping it for now.

Has anyone had luck with Manuka Honey ($$$$$$$) Vitamin U it Apple cider vinegar? I also read a good raw honey night work.

I see my GI tomorrow but if I remember from the last time I saw her she wasnt too up on "alternative" stuff. I'm on my own.

Any ideas?

Thanks
according to recent news here in the uk any decent quality honey has the same nutrients as manuka but with a much lower price. i found yakult very helpful when taken for a period of at least two weeks most certainly improved the diorrhea it is far less frequent for me now .

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was reading that. I want more info. I know raw honey is best.

What is Yakult? I have constipation and can't eat dairy. Isn't that dairy?

alkt

I was reading that. I want more info. I know raw honey is best.

What is Yakult? I have constipation and can't eat dairy. Isn't that dairy?
it is a pro biotic drink there are other brands and also capsule forms i think some are suitable for people with lactose intolerance. a glass of apple juice in the evenings can help naturally with constipation. as long as you do not become dehydrated . i can only drink apple juice now thank to being on proton pump inhibitors twice a day otherwise the acids would be unbearable.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
IBS is not just constipation. It's much more complicated and takes a lot more than just juice and some probiotics.

I don't want medication that reduces stomach acid if that's not the problem. what I've read is there isn't too much acid, just how our bodies use it. There are ways to fix the problem without meds.

I'm looking for something to help restore stomach acid besides betaine.

Last edited:

Misfit Toy

Apple cider gives me heartburn times ten...I wish I could take it.

So, I'm not trying to give advice but what I've been reading about pyroluria, Mink is that low zinc and low B6 cause people to not have enough stomach acid, hence I have GERD and don't eat much. Hallmark of pyroluria.

Just a thought. I know you have your ND. She may give insight.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Manuka Honey will empty your pockets fast, tastes quite good... and doesn´t do anything for gut problems. At least for mine. I had never had constipation though.

Ascorbic acid is very effective at loosening stools and inducing diarreah.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
No GERD. Just searching since I can't take betaine.

Ascorbate acid makes me nauseated.

The problem I have is stuff that helps constipation, like magnesium citrate is inconsistent with me. One day will work great, the next I will be bloated and cramped.

I'm looking to treat the source of the problem of ibs, not a bandaid for the symptoms. I have plenty of band aids.

@Misfit Toy i read about that after your recent posts. Don't think that is me. Very few symptoms. I'll keep it in the back of my brain.

Anyone know about vitamin U. Supposed to be good for ulcers. I'm not sure about ibs.

Your symptoms sound like mine. Gut problems have dropped off since starting VSL#3... a strong (450billion) freeze-dried, lactic acid bacteria / dose. The serious pain I had before, that came with IBS-C, is gone. However, I still must toe the line on food choices.
I was told my IBS-C most likely is from SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), and since I don't have $1800. every time Xifaxin would be required, it's a good alternative. Still a bit pricey , but not $1800. !

To me. there is a distinct difference between "regular old honey" and Manuka... the manuka seems subtle and doesn't hit with a sugar jolt, but delivers a restorative lift. I've been reading about Aseda honey from Ghana, which is compared to manuka; haven't tried it yet.

alkt

No GERD. Just searching since I can't take betaine.

Ascorbate acid makes me nauseated.

The problem I have is stuff that helps constipation, like magnesium citrate is inconsistent with me. One day will work great, the next I will be bloated and cramped.

I'm looking to treat the source of the problem of ibs, not a bandaid for the symptoms. I have plenty of band aids.

@Misfit Toy i read about that after your recent posts. Don't think that is me. Very few symptoms. I'll keep it in the back of my brain.

Anyone know about vitamin U. Supposed to be good for ulcers. I'm not sure about ibs.
just found on google you can get vit u from cabbage water saves on the pricier stuff that various companies would like to sell you also contains sulphanamides so you might want to buy some air fresheners. more seriously many people reported more gastric problems on diets containing lots of cabbage. but then nearly all fad diets are dangerous long term.

PeterPositive

Your symptoms sound like mine. Gut problems have dropped off since starting VSL#3... a strong (450billion) freeze-dried, lactic acid bacteria / dose. The serious pain I had before, that came with IBS-C, is gone. However, I still must toe the line on food choices.
I was told my IBS-C most likely is from SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), and since I don't have $1800. every time Xifaxin would be required, it's a good alternative. Still a bit pricey , but not $1800. !

To me. there is a distinct difference between "regular old honey" and Manuka... the manuka seems subtle and doesn't hit with a sugar jolt, but delivers a restorative lift. I've been reading about Aseda honey from Ghana, which is compared to manuka; haven't tried it yet.
I find it quite strange that if you have SIBO you can solve it by throwing more bacteria at it. The issue with SIBO is exactly the opposite, removing an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine. Typically high dose oral probiotics can be ineffective or even counterproductive in those cases, because they can worsen the overgrowth.

Did you actually test if you have SIBO?

cheers

M Paine

Not sure about the Manuka Honey, but if I come across a good Manuka honey source here in Auckland, I'll try it out and let you know. Occasionally there are some artisan producers here which sell it at a good price, but I don't commonly go to markets these days.

Lately, somewhat randomly, I've found that having a bowl of Blueberrys, Strawberries and Rasberries with a little mascarpone right before bed has been helping me to maintain regular movements. Not to mention it's delicious and pretty nutritious. Lately I've been having it every night, as I'm sure it helps me getting to sleep, and waking up more refreshed.

M Paine

Came across this today, it is $40 NZD, which is quite expensive compared with other Honey here. No idea if it will help with IBS-C, or really what the effects of potent Methylglyoxal are. But it's certainly the highest Methylglyoxal content I've seen on any honey in NZ before.

The product doesn't appear to be on their website. https://earthbound.nz/products.html

wSn55qq.jpg

PeterPositive

@M Paine it's indeed pretty expensive compared to "standard" honey.
It's worth a shot though as it is supposedly an anti-microbic although it didn't work for me.
I tried years ago but I gave me the same side effects of yeast and rising agents (hives, itching) so I quit halfway through.

Actually I think regular honey did the trick for me, much better than the very expensive Manuka. Back in 2011 I spent 9 months in bed and I was having terrible abdominal discomfort, terrible constipation (could not have a BM without enema) and could eat very little. Honey was the one thing I discovered my body tolerated without complaints so I indulged on it for several months.

It soothed my GI tract quite a lot and helped gaining weight (I had lost 20Kg!)

cheers

PeterPositive

Can you have honey if you have Candida?
Depends on who you ask... some say that all sugar should be avoided, which I find extreme, others say to avoid most sugars but still allow some.

I think common sense should be used, you can try some honey and see how you react to it. I thought honey was bad for dysbiosis and other fermentation issues. It turned out not only it didn't made things worse but it acutally helped soothing the stomach and reduce the bloating, possibly due its antimicrobial properties.

Naturally you should take raw honey, not the refined one, which is indeed mostly sugar.

Word of caution... I would avoid honey if you have specific issues with fructose, as that's the main sugar it contains.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I do avoid sugar in general but sometimes I just feel my body needs something and I usually turn to honey, its more difficult to get raw honey around here, but maybe worth me checking it out. I do believe honey has some qualities we're still not aware of.

Mij

Brown rice syrup is a nice tasting sweetner with no fructose. I prefer it over honey when I need a little sugar.

M Paine

An interesting point about Manuka Honey, is that it can contain a compound called Methylglyoxal, or UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) which was identified as an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. A UMF factor above 100 is considered anti-bacterial.

I've seen plenty of Honey around which has values of say, 10, but it's very uncommon to see values above 100. I would say this product may have effects outside what you might see in other honey.