• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

First cold in 8 years, could Famvir help?

Ninan

I've come down with a cold for the first time in almost a decade. I know it could be a good sign but I'm not sure it is since I've been much better before without ever getting a virus. I've had ME/CFS for 11 years. This seems to be a badass cold. He who gave it to me had fever for a week. :ill:

At first I just got tired but it seems now the more I rest the worse I feel and the more symptoms I get that are not just my regular ME symptoms but also sneezing etc. It's been a week since I was infected and I'm a wreck. I've been so much better this year and I'm scared of losing all that I've gained. Any tips on what to do? I rest all I can, sleep all I can, stay warm, drink tea and eat garlic. Would Famvir help?

msf

Nope, the common cold and the flu are both RNA viruses, and aren´t affected by drugs such as Famvir that inhibit DNA polymerase.

Kathevans

This is interesting. I can't remember my last cold, and I recall reading that this was not a particularly good sign. Probably all the other bugs in the body taking precedence. My husband is just coming down with one and as awful as it sounds--and I could live to regret it! :eek:--I was just thinking it could be a good thing to come down with it...

Snookum96

Interesting. I haven't had a cold or flu since I got sick and thought that was weird. I thought I would be more susceptible now.

Does anyone know the science behind why this might happen?

SOC

This seems to be two clear subsets in PWME -- those that never catch anything and those of us that catch everything that goes around. I wonder if this indicates two entirely different illnesses with similar symptom patterns or just variations of the same condition. Maybe this is the autoimmune vs immune deficient division. I hope some researchers can get funding to sort out these various aspects of what is now all classified as ME/CFS.

Ninan

This seems to be two clear subsets in PWME -- those that never catch anything and those of us that catch everything that goes around. I wonder if this indicates two entirely different illnesses with similar symptom patterns or just variations of the same condition. Maybe this is the autoimmune vs immune deficient division. I hope some researchers can get funding to sort out these various aspects of what is now all classified as ME/CFS.
I've also heard that it can change over time. I got some viruses during the first years but since I've gotten worse I get nothing. Until now, eleven years after falling ill. I've read that the immune system barrier can kind of "burn out" after some time. Not good news. At least my flu symptoms disappeared quite quickly. Still more tired though and the ringing in my ears is back after a few months without it. Hope it goes away too.