• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Entervirus testing

Gingergrrl

And he used Quest Labs, he didn't tell me I had to go to a different lab. I don't know if he's since stopped using them.

@Mary When I scheduled the appt, they told me that I could use Quest or Lab Corp as long as the enterovirus tests are done through ARUP. I have done that test 2x in the past so not sure if I need to repeat it prior to my appt in Feb or just bring him the two sets of positive results (one echo virus and one coxsackie virus were positive.) The viruses that were positive for me were the same on both tests but the titers were totally different each time- whatever that means, I am not sure?!

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary When I scheduled the appt, they told me that I could use Quest or Lab Corp as long as the enterovirus tests are done through ARUP. I have done that test 2x in the past so not sure if I need to repeat it prior to my appt in Feb or just bring him the two sets of positive results (one echo virus and one coxsackie virus were positive.) The viruses that were positive for me were the same on both tests but the titers were totally different each time- whatever that means, I am not sure?!

That's interesting - maybe they have changed their protocol. They didn't tell me to use ARUP 2 years ago. Is that a separate lab, so that you would have some of the tests done at Quest or Labcorp, and some of at ARUP, or would Quest/Labcorp have those particular tests done through ARUP? To be honest, I've never heard of ARUP before.

I think the different titers would give information about whether you have an active or past infection. On my test results, it states that certain titers indicate present or past infection.

I'm guessing Dr. Chia would want you to get the tests redone to see what your current titers are, but of course the best thing would be to call and ask.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@halcyon epivir is too nasty to take without being monitored.

Right now financially it's just not possible for me to get the biopsy done.

I'm figuring out my next move but I could get 9 months worth of oxymatrine for the cost of the test.

And after reading some blogs from people who see chia and talk about his success rate, which isn't that high, I just don't see me doing it, at least not now.

Thanks all for the input and help.

halcyon

@minkeygirl It's pretty safe and side effect free as far as I understand. Dr. Chia only does blood testing after the first month on it, it doesn't require ongoing monitoring. The scariest potential side effect is lactic acidosis which he said he's only seen once in his entire career treating AIDS and ME patients. But yeah I wouldn't advocate taking it without doctor supervision, just like any other prescription drug.

I know what you mean, these treatments aren't strong enough to really knock the virus back hard like a targeted antiviral could. It's really slow going. Only about 52% of patients respond to the oxymatrine which is pretty dismal but at the same time impressive for a plant compound.

Gingergrrl

And after reading some blogs from people who see chia and talk about his success rate, which isn't that high, I just don't see me doing it, at least not now.

I thought he had a higher success rate than other docs if you actually had an enterovirus? But maybe I am wrong about that?

Gingergrrl

maybe they have changed their protocol. They didn't tell me to use ARUP 2 years ago. Is that a separate lab, so that you would have some of the tests done at Quest or Labcorp, and some of at ARUP, or would Quest/ Labcorp have those particular tests done through ARUP? To be honest, I've never heard of ARUP before.

I think the different titers would give information about whether you have an active or past infection. On my test results, it states that certain titers indicate present or past infection.

I'm guessing Dr. Chia would want you to get the tests redone to see what your current titers are, but of course the best thing would be to call and ask.

@Mary I have no idea what Dr. Chia did in the past but at present he uses ARUP for enterovirus testing which is at the University of Utah. If you give the codes to Lab Corp they send the test to ARUP which is what I did (and it sounds like Quest can do the same thing per his office.)

I will find out closer to Feb if I need to re-do the tests. The one I did before (not for Chia) was unclear if it was a current or past infection per my regular doc on the two titers that were positive. But I am very curious to hear how Chia interprets them.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
My NP might monitor me but I'm taking valcyte right now so don't want to slam
My body too much.

I wonder about the 52% and how long they were sick before they got treatment? I think that's an important factor.

I just have to spend my money wisely. Maybe it's better to try immunovir again since I'm on valcyte. Or cycloferon

Thanks for the help.

halcyon

I wonder about the 52% and how long they were sick before they got treatment? I think that's an important factor.
It didn't appear to matter in his oxymatrine trial. Details in the link I posted before:
One hundred patients took oxymatrine at dose of 200-300 mg twice a day with or without food for a minimum of three months. Patients who could not complete the course due to side effects or intolerance were considered as failures (intent-to-treat analysis). Of the first group, 52% ( 52/100) responded to oxymatrine, as compared to 6% ( 7/114) of the control groups (p<0.000001, x2 test). Of the next 104 patients, 52% responded to treatment. Age, sex and duration of illness did not correlate with response. Fifty-three percent ( 57/107) of patients with elevated coxsackie virus B (CVB) and echovirus (Ech) antibody responded to therapy and 50% ( 49/97) of patients with non-typeable EV infections improved (NS, x2 test). Fifty-two percent ( 47/91) of patients with positive EV protein in stomach biopsies responded, whereas 56% ( 5/9) of patients with negative biopsies responded (NS, x2 test).