• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pilates?

bananabas

Are there any studies on the effects of pilates on mild ME/CFS? I never tried it, but it looks quite anaerobic and from what I understand it is the aerobic metabolism that malfunctions in PWME.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Why don't you just give it a go and see if it suits you. Some people here do Pilates, others like me still can't manage ANY increase in any type of exercise otherwise it compromises our ability to do tasks of daily living.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Are there any studies on the effects of pilates on mild ME/CFS? I never tried it, but it looks quite anaerobic and from what I understand it is the aerobic metabolism that malfunctions in PWME.
I haven't seen any studies but I do pilates once a week with machines and it is mostly anaerobic. I don't think it helps my ME symptoms at all but it does keep up my core strength which is important in daily living--particularly if you have EDS as I do. Without pilates, I'd be in a lot of pain.

dancer

Mat Pilates tends to increase my pain levels and cause some PEM, but Reformer Pilates has been a lifeline for me. I'm able to do gentle movements, and the pulleys and carriage support my body in all directions. It's like doing a super slow, beginner ballet class while lying on my back.

I tried taking classes, but couldn't handle doing 45 minutes of work all at once. It works best for me to do only ten or fifteen minutes on my own. Sadly, even after months of work, I haven't been able to improve my stamina, but I do feel it helps my core, my breathing, and keeping some muscle tone.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Reformer Pilates has been a lifeline for me. I'm able to do gentle movements, and the pulleys and carriage support my body in all directions. It's like doing a super slow, beginner ballet class while lying on my back
This is what I meant by machines--the Reformer, the Cadillac and the Chair. They are designed very intelligently.
Sadly, even after months of work, I haven't been able to improve my stamina, but I do feel it helps my core, my breathing, and keeping some muscle tone.
My increase in stamina has been extremely slow too--like a wee bit every couple years. I think gaining stamina is a big problem for ME/CFS patients.

dancer

This is what I meant by machines--the Reformer, the Cadillac and the Chair. They are designed very intelligently.
My increase in stamina has been extremely slow too--like a wee bit every couple years. I think gaining stamina is a big problem for ME/CFS patients.

Yep... I think it's part of the basic pathology of this illness. :-(

PennyIA

When I'm in remission I can tolerate a LITTLE (VERY, VERY little) mat pilates. I do find it easier to do than any aerobic or weight lifting exercises... but I find it and a little yoga (again, very little) is something I can usually tolerate when I'm at my best.

By 'lttle' I mean maybe 5-10 minutes a day of gentle stretching in Yoga for a few weeks... then 10-15 minutes of Yoga for a few weeks, then maybe 15 minutes of yoga and 5 minutes of Pilates.... then maybe 15 minutes of each... but that's the highest I've ever managed before hitting a wall (usually due to something else I think) and crash.