• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tonight in the US: Brainmaker--gut microbes and the brain--David Perlmutter M. D.

barbc56

PBS station's sometimes have different schedules for programs. So check your local listings. They also repeat programs in case someone misses it the first time.

Thanks @Sushi. :thumbsup:

This looks interesting. PBS is a good source of information.

Barb

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I am watching. It is sort at the Dr. Oz level--basically correct but in the form of 5 steps to reprogram your microbiome. A bit of an infomercial for his book too. Still, he, as a neurologist, is saying that neurologists are trained to diagnose, but have very few ways to treat. And, that treating the microbiome is the best way of treating the brain.

1) prebiotics
2) probiotics
3) low simple carbs
4) high good fats
5) leaky gut = LPS getting out of the gut
6) inflammation
6) fecal transplants in extreme cases
EDIT
7) gluten

But the main thrust is changing your diet. Also talks about how those born by Cesarean section miss out on getting their microbiome populated.

Last edited:

barbc56

I notice that he is not considered credible by many scientists. However I want to see the program first.

Barb

if you do a search on him he has won several important awards. He is probably not considered credible by many of the WRONG scientist....in my view

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Sushi, I read that you did a test a long while back which showed you had prevotella overgrowth - were you able to get rid of that? thanks!
Yes, I got rid of it. I have a doctor who is good at treating the gut and used very gut specific abx. The next gut test showed that it was gone.

Wayne

I'm currently reading Perlmutter's book, "Brain Maker" (I highly recommend it). He mentions on p. 56 that every day he performs "simple blood tests" on patients to help get a sense of their "gut lining's integrity". If you click on the link, it will take you to Amazon, where if you click on the book, you can read a lot of it online.

Perlmutter considers the Cyrex Array 2 "the most sophisticated screening tests on the market today". The array is by Cyrex Labs, which measures antibodies produced by the immune system when it's confronted by a molecule called LPS, short for lipopolysaccharide. He says "no conversation about the microbiome, inflammation, and brain health can exclude the impact of this molecule."

Last edited:

Wayne

I notice that he is not considered credible by many scientists

I think the following at the bottom of p. 70 could readily explain why the medical community at large may not favor Dr. Perlmutter's natural approach to treating serious diseases. This was part of his summation after he told the story of a man with Multiple Sclerosis made significant recovery after doing fecal transplants.

"My training had always led me to believe that managing a disease like multiple sclerosis or even considering the idea of a cure would come from some new pharmaceutical development. And now it's becoming patently clear that what may prove to be the most powerful therapy for this disease will be nonproprietary---no one can own it. It's time for the world at large to be made aware that a diifferent perspective on this disease and other mysterious neurological conditions needs to be adopted and embraced."
I might just mention, I find Dr. Perlmutter to be a good writer. He seems to have a knack for taking notable medical research information, connecting a number of dots from it, making logical assumptions, and then communicating it in a way that's readily understood by the layman. I also find him to be a compelling writer, explaining a bigger picture from the scientific research he's compiled. A skill that I suspect is far better developed than the average scientist working in his field.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

Almost bought this book but was afraid there is "nothing new under the sun" in it, considering what's been discussed and done here on PR in the last couple years re: the gut.

Perhaps it's a stupid prejudice, but I also find it odd that he's got a piece of broccoli on the cover instead of a good ol' RS-bearing potato. Makes me suspect he might actually be a little behind the curve despite the recent pub date of the book.

@Wayne, how does the book compare with what you've read around here that people are doing?

Incidentally, to anyone interested, my cognitive function seems to be improving slightly since I've been addressing digestion and gall bladder issues. But most favorably my motivation and stamina seem to have taken a consistent leap forward, markedly in the last week or so. I'm having some anxiety and jitters again but they're mild and endurable, especially because the boost in motivation and ability to stay on task is so greatly enhanced. I've gotten farther in cleaning my house this last week than I have in literally years. There's something still going on with my gut that apparently has to do with digestion/bile and choline, but I have no idea exactly what the connection is. But in addition to gall bladder stuff I've been taking choline consistently for the past couple months which seems to have produced this latest burst. It's has produced a similar albeit unsustainable burst of motivation/stamina + anxiety/jitters in the past, which was immediately followed by a weird stomach-virus crash. Guess we'll see what happens next.

Wayne

@Wayne, how does the book compare with what you've read around here that people are doing?

Generally speaking, I struggle with reading and comprehension, so I haven't kept up with many of the threads on this board nearly as much as I would like. But my own cognition and mental stamina has recently improved to the point where I could readily understand the gist of what Perlmutter's latest book. ("Brain Maker").

I think it's a really good book, and noticed he often often references recently released research findings. The chapter on autism in this book was quite an eye opener for me. Amongst many things, he mentions how the molecule LPS (short for lipopolysaccharidef) has been used to induce temporary autism in laboratory mice. I thought that was amazing and also how the exhibited traits waned about 30 minutes after injection. As I metnioned in my earlier post, LPS is the molecule he regularly tests most of his patients for.

You can get a much better sense of the book if you click on the link above, which will take you to Amazon. Click on the image of the book, which will take you to the table of contents. You can really read a lot of it online to see if it's something you would want to consider buying. I checked mine out from the local library. Interestingly, I put it on hold earlier this year, and had about 75 people ahead of me before I could check it out. Maybe your library would have it as well.

Congratulations on your improvements! :thumbsup: I hope they continue for you. Am I reading you correctly that when your energy increases, so does your jitters? Temporary increases in energy for myself can lead to having to find unique kind of coping strategies stemming from an increased level of activity. BTW, two of own my favorite liver, gallbladder supplements are malic acid and taurine. And they're cheap. :)

Wayne

P.S. This is the product that's increasing my mental stamina: -- : Source Naturals Coenzymate B Complex Orange, 120 Tablets.