• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium: tablets vs. powder

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
This is a note for those who need to take a lot of potassium on Freddd's B12 treatment.

When I was doing the B12 treatment I usually used potassium gluconate powder. I once ran out of powder and had to rely on tablets. I discovered that I had to take 30% more of the tablet form than the powder to have the same reduction in my hypokalemia symptoms. This is comparing an equal elemental amount of potassium between tablets and powder. I tried two different brands of tablets but each required that I take 30% more than the powder form. It took me by surprise and used up my tablet supply faster than expected.

Maybe the tablet binders reduce absorption, or possibly my gut doesn't break down tablets properly, so this variation might not apply to everyone. It may be useful to know about in case you currently use powder but rely on tablets as a backup and haven't checked to see if they have equivalent effect, or if you want to save money (and ingestion of binders) by using powder instead.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It makes me sick. Even the Lo Salt sprinkled on food makes me sick.

I'm just pointing out one size does not fit all when it comes to supplements.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I'm just pointing out one size does not fit all when it comes to supplements.

Especially for PWME who often have weird reactions to supplements, foods, sensory stimulation, weather, planetary alignment... :)

what's your hypokalemia symptoms while using b12?
I had diarrhea using b12+folate, don't know if it's cause i didn't use potassium

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I didn't have hypokalemia until I added L-Carnitine Fumarate. It's a known effect for many people on Freddd's treatment. My symptoms would include nausea, dizzyness, muscle twitching, occasionally muscle convulsions, partially paralyzed colon (ileus), negative mood, and a few other symptoms that don't come to mind at the moment.