• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

viruses and gelatin

xrayspex

Say does anyone here use gelatin as a nutritional supplement? It sounds do potentially good for cartilage and bones and soft tissues etc but some info on internet says because of the arginine in it to stay away from it if you have a virus /hsv. What have people here found out with their health when supplementing with it?

South

You could just take some lysine to balance out the arginine, if you want to try gelatin. The reason arginine aggravates some viruses is because it changes the lysine - to arginine ratio in the body. Raising lysine, with supplements, will change the ratio back to being more equal.

For example, people who are getting a cold sore (which is a kind of herpes virus), who start lysine supplements right at the beginning of getting the cold sore, usually have a shorter duration of the cold sore.

xrayspex

thanks---here is the thing--I react really poorly to lysine supplements (very similar reaction to valtrex in the past) if I want a guaranteed pain fest I can just take a capsule of lysine---awful headaches neck pains etc not worth it

I get bizarre reactions to many supps and meds

Hip

because of the arginine in it to stay away from it if you have a virus

Arginine has been shown in one study to fight against herpes simplex virus 1. 1 And arginine protects against coxsackievirus B-induced tissue damage, at least in myocarditis. 1

Someone proposed a hypothesis here that arginine may either inhibit or promote herpes simplex virus, depending on methylation status.

Last edited:

xrayspex

hey I like that way of thinking hip...it reminds me also of how not all calories are created equally
it does seem counterintuitive to think that gelatin, which is so healing to so many parts of the body would be inducive to bad viruses
thanks

Daffodil

i have been taking Great Lakes gelatin about once a day for months, thinking it might help leaky gut. I have no idea if it's doing anything. Perhaps if I didn't cheat on my diet constantly, it would help more lol

xrayspex

I just got some too, had started taking the plain knox before that but then stopped it all when I read about all the arginine while I could try to ascertain if real concern or not.....