• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long-term sequelae after Ebola virus disease in Bundibugyo, Uganda: a retrospective cohort study

leokitten

Last edited:

Daffodil

wasn't there a case of a recovered american doctor who started having blurry vision and was found to have ebola still living in his eye or something?

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

leokitten

wasn't there a case of a recovered american doctor who started having blurry vision and was found to have ebola still living in his eye or something?

From my understanding what happened to that doctor isn't PEVDS. The eye is an immune privileged area and they've found that even after your immune system clears the virus it can stick around in the eye and in the testes, another immune privileged area.

http://www.popsci.com/why-ebola-lives-so-long-survivors-testicles

Last edited:

Daffodil

Does it fade away or is it just the publicity/people who fade away?

Or perhaps like Dr Bell found in NY, people adjust to liviing with the illness, they are still very not functional, but you try to roll with the punches!

GG
no it actually goes away

Kati

Patient in training
We've already been discussing for a while here on PR how post-Ebola disease syndrome (PEVDS) basically looks just like ME/CFS and is further evidence of infection triggered immune dysfunction or autoimmunity. Finally there's a publication on the topic in the Lancet:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25910637/

And nice summary article by Cort:

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...romyalgia-the-post-infectious-syndromes-pt-i/

i think this is very relevant to our disease. If only we could reach out to the right people and ask to compare side by side the immune functioning of post-Ebola syndrome and patients with ME. I am very curious.

I wouldn't be surprised that millions get invested to study post-Ebola but not ME.

Bob

i think this is very relevant to our disease. If only we could reach out to the right people and ask to compare side by side the immune functioning of post-Ebola syndrome and patients with ME. I am very curious.

I wouldn't be surprised that millions get invested to study post-Ebola but not ME.
Dr Lipkin must surely be the researcher to email about this. I've started two emails to him but I abandoned them because I didn't like what i'd written. (I think my brain wasn't working well at the time.) Maybe I'll have another attempt tomorrow. But if anyone else would like to pop an email his way and include links to a couple of relevant articles, that'd be great. If he could get CFS patients as a comparison group onto a study of Ebola, then that could potentially be millions of dollars of CFS research, and it might raise the profile of CFS as an immunological disease.

Last edited:

Daffodil

In everyone or in a majority of cases? Over what time period? I've been looking for some data on this but haven't been able to find anything. Do you have any good sources?
hi! if you are looking for info about post-SARS, please message me!