• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ambien (Zolpidem) side effects - emotional?

snowathlete

I need some help.

I've had sleep problems since before my ME was diagnosed years ago. I was prescribed amitriptyline which worked for a few years but I became tollerant to it. It also caused my heart to race which was a problem as I upped the dose.

So my doc prescribed tradodone which worked a little, not as well, but it caused me to wake up needing a pee!

So my doc then prescribed me Ambien and it does set me off to sleep. When it wears off I wake up, very early. But at least I am sleeping. Problem is that I've been taking it 5 nights now and I am very emotional. I mean, abnormally emotional, I am crying and in despair really, not myself at all.

To complicate matters though I have suspected food poisoning at the moment that I've had for 12 days and I am waiting on a test result before they potentially prescribe me antibiotics.

So which is causing my emotional problems? I am potentially going to have to stop the drug, but then what? Seems all these drugs have side effects. I am considering trying again to cope without, go natural if you will. I don't know if I can manage that, but I don't know whether another drug is a viable option really.

My doctor is going to call me back soon but I'm not sure what to ask for at the moment. Anyone got some advice?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I take Zopiclone, like all Z drugs its addictive, I was going out of my mind due to lack of sleep before I started it. However 5yrs on I wish I'd never started it, sorry I don't have the answer but I'd try anything first a/histamines, Benadryl, nytol etc. Not sure about the emotions...never taken Ambien but I'm sure like all drugs it can have effects like that. You know your own personality so its either the infection or the drug. I got like that on abx, but its such a common reaction I was re-assured by others, it does make you question your sanity though. But temporary thankfully. Hope you get some answers soon.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have a few rx's and OTC things I take for sleep alternating every night.

I never take the same combo 2 nights in a row and never take the same benzo more than 2 nights in a row.

I finally had to accept that I will not sleep without a benzo to put me to sleep and then other stuff to keep me asleep

I have RX ambien, halcion, Oxazepam, seroquel, doxepin. OTC kava, suntheanine, phenibut (benzo so should be treated as such) more I can't remember. Oh doxylamine an antihistamine. I just tapered off trazodone but will use it occasionally. My pcp had rx'd all of these becuase he understands my issues and knows I'm not drug seeking.

Everyone has to experiment and suffer while they figure out what works

One thing maybe is to not expect one thing to put you to sleep and keep you asleep all night.

Find sleep initiators and sleep sustainers.

snowathlete

I have a few rx's and OTC things I take for sleep alternating every night.

I never take the same combo 2 nights in a row and never take the same benzo more than 2 nights in a row.

I finally had to accept that I will not sleep without a benzo to put me to sleep and then other stuff to keep me asleep

I have RX ambien, halcion, Oxazepam, seroquel, doxepin. OTC kava, suntheanine, phenibut (benzo so should be treated as such) more I can't remember. Oh doxylamine an antihistamine. I just tapered off trazodone but will use it occasionally. My pcp had rx'd all of these becuase he understands my issues and knows I'm not drug seeking.

Everyone has to experiment and suffer while they figure out what works

One thing maybe is to not expect one thing to put you to sleep and keep you asleep all night.

Find sleep initiators and sleep sustainers.

thanks, i thnk zolpidem would be good, at least occationally, to put me to sleep. It hasnt kept me asleep, i woke fully last night and it was pitch black - very odd for me as until recently ive been going to bed very late, so was waking and it was light at least a bit. Although i didnt sleep well after i was not stressed by that point so at least felt i could lie there and feel exhausted and it was tollerable. I think more than anything else i want to avoid bad side effects, and longer term, dependance (though with ME i realise that may just be unavoidable due to the messed up sleep).

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I wake up at least once during the night. Lately 2 or 3 times. When that happens I'll take some theanine or more antihistamine

I know, because I've tried, that I will not sleep without help.

Once you get past the psychological idea if dependency and look at it like you would any treatment, that helps. You're treating a symptom.

If you alternate, it lessens the chance for tolerance.

geraldt52

So my doc then prescribed me Ambien and it does set me off to sleep. When it wears off I wake up, very early. But at least I am sleeping. Problem is that I've been taking it 5 nights now and I am very emotional. I mean, abnormally emotional, I am crying and in despair really, not myself at all.

There is an "Ambien CR" (controlled release) version that may not wear off so quickly and keep you asleep longer...I doubt it's available as generic, but I don't know that.

I don't doubt that an infection might cause your emotional issues, but since Ambien has a list of side effects as long as your arm I'd sooner suspect the Ambien.

Has Belsomra become available yet in the UK? Belsomra is a very different sleep medication, with a much smaller bunch of side effects...including the fact that in trials it did not show a tendency toward being habit forming. There's a separate thread going on with a few people having used Belsomra, some with decent results. It's expensive.

I lived long term with sleep medications, suffered the horrors of withdrawals, for years, and now use no sleep medications. I don't think people who are on sleep medications (often many sleep medications) long term realize just how much of how bad they feel is actually the sleep medications, and not "ME/CFS" at all. Getting off the drugs was no picnic, and my sleep is still not good by any measure, but I am so very, very glad to be rid of the sleep meds.

pogoman

I can recommend the Ambien CR over regular, took it for close to 5 years and it generally has less side effects.
I stopped pretty much cold turkey, when I was back working nights and could catch up my sleep in the late morning or early afternoon before work as needed.

The only side effect I noticed is I lost weight steadily for a couple months, around 25 lbs after starting it.
no dieting or increased activity.
It never duplicated that again.

geraldt52

How did you do it Gerald?
It was forced on me. I was completely habituated to Klonopin and could no longer take the dose required to have any effect. Having no idea, I quit it cold turkey. I went through horrible withdrawal for years, during which time I cycled through maybe a dozen rx sleep drugs, and at least that many "supplements". Despite "rotating", I fairly quickly either became habituated to them, or the side effects were intolerable. I finally decided I simply couldn't go on like I was, and quit everything. I could not have done it if I had still be working.

Once you key in to the side effects, it is stunning how bad they are, and how much of how dreadful you feel is really from the drugs. Sleep drugs are trap. Once you start down the path, it can feel impossible to turn around. When everyone says "I simply won't sleep without them", it's true...as long as you keep taking them...it is the ultimate self fulfilling prophecy, the definition of dependency. I often went sleepless for 4 or 5 nights in a row during withdrawal, but you finally get through it and your sleep returns to some semblance of normalcy. My sleep is still not good by any measure, but compared to how horrible I felt on the drugs I can live with it.

The only thing I do for sleep nowadays is just sleep hygiene and resort to a shot of vodka in the middle of the night when I'm not going to get to sleep. It's usually only worth a couple of hours of sleep, but enough to get by. The doctors will tell you it doesn't work, but it works for me.

I'm hoping that I might be able to use Belsomra as a sort of "emergency plan"...something I can take just when I absolutely, positively have to get some sleep. I would never consider taking it continuously myself, but it would be my choice if I felt I had to do that to keep going.

adreno

PR activist
GABA drugs are in general horribly addictive, quickly induce tolerance, and messes with the HPA. Your labile mood might be due to the drugs effect on cortisol.