• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B's on the Freddd Protocol

Johnmac

Is it correct that I should limit these Bs on the Freddd Protocol?:

B1 (Thiamin) - 30mg/day maximum
B2 (Riboflavin) – 30mg/day maximum
B3 (Niacin) - 100mg/day maximum

At one stage, @ahmo added: "He [Freddd] found, as have I and others, that reducing the Bs to the smaller amounts reduces the need for extra potassium."

So the limitations reply to other Bs too?

And what should people with pyroluria (which need lots of B6) do?

Thanks!

ahmo

Hi @Johnmac I needed extra p5p/B6 for a couple years, until it pushed me into excess ammonia (or peroxynitrite), and now I only need the 25 mg in my B Complex. Here's the B Comp that I'm taking. My only addition is 18mg FMN (B2)

Thiamin (vitamin B-1) (as benfotiamine) 25 mg 1,667%
Riboflavin (as riboflavin 5'-phosphate) 25 mg 1,471%
Niacin (as inositol hexanicotinate) 50 mg 250%
Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) 25 mg 1,250%
Folate (as Quatrefolic® [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid equivalent to 800 mcg of [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (as methylcobalamin) 250 mcg 4,167%
Biotin 25 mcg 8%
Choline (as choline dihydrogen citrate) 25 mg *
PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) 25 mg *
Pantethine (coenzyme A precursor)(from Pantesin® 55% pantethine) 25 mg *
Inositol (from inositol hexanicotinate) 12.5 mg *

Johnmac

Thanks ahmo.

All fairly modest dosages, yes?

That much P5P is obviously enough for your pyroluria?

And you don't feel you need the straight B6? (I think Walsh says some need one, some need the other, & some need both.)

ahmo

When I first got onto pyroluria, I took both B6 and p5p. I'm pretty sure I saw some suggestions that B6 might be adverse, but I don't have any references. It never helped, my body self-tested - for it, so I quit. One of my strongest symptoms was inability to tolerate sun. Since I crashed, sun on my body burned, sent me into a crisis. 5 days after starting p5p, plus high doses zinc, se, w/ mang, molyb...the sun sensitivity evaporated. Never returned, even once I < doses.

Yes, very tiny B doses. I split the caps, take 1/2 AM, 1/2 midday. In my past life I would have totally discounted such small doses.

ahmo

All my folate deficiency symptoms have been skin related. Fred referred to epithelial healing. I've experienced a lift only in the sense of occasionally getting euphoric, a bit speedy when increasing my dose, but not any sense of greater working energy, as I recall.

Johnmac

Thanks again @ahmo.

I haven't yet seen any suggestions that B6 is adverse for pyrolurics - only that some need it, & for some (who need P5P) it does nothing.

(Conversely to you, P5P doesn't seem to do anything for me.)

Okay, I shall stick to the low B doses, ta.

I'm a bit better after 3 weeks on the Fred Protocol, but am pretty stuck: very low energy, work-averse.

Re the lift I get from the folate (sometimes a big one) - but not from the other DQs: does that suggest to raise the folate - or wait? (If you know.)

ahmo

Re the lift I get from the folate (sometimes a big one) - but not from the other DQs: does that suggest to raise the folate - or wait? (If you know.)
i_dunno-1374.gif