• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which came first; the Fatty Acid or the Bacteria?

ppodhajski

I will scream this from the rooftops until people hear me on this one. Taking probiotics is probably a dead end for any kind of lasting treatment. I used to have terrible gut issues (IBS-D) and I do not have them anymore. Probiotics never helped, but B2 and changing my fatty acids did. This new study shows why. It clearly points to changes in PUFA status effecting gut microbes. So if you take probiotics, but eat a lot of omega 6, in my opinion you are wasting your money.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150827130139.htm
Fish oil-diet benefits may be mediated by gut microbes

Diets rich in fish oil versus diets rich in lard (e.g., bacon) produce very different bacteria in the guts of mice, reports a new study. The researchers transferred these microbes into other mice to see how they affected health. The results suggest that gut bacteria share some of the responsibility for the beneficial effects of fish oil and the harmful effects of lard.

We are not mice.

I got rid of IBS symptoms with magnesium and calcium over a few months. Lard has never been a part of my diet. We are all unique -- a product of genetics and epigenetics -- what is helpful for one person may be detrimental to another.

Please accept that.

ppodhajski

We are not mice.

I got rid of IBS symptoms with magnesium and calcium over a few months. Lard has never been a part of my diet. We are all unique -- a product of genetics and epigenetics -- what is helpful for one person may be detrimental to another.

Please accept that.

I was not suggesting people eat lard, I was suggesting that possbility that dietary fats play a greater role changing the microbiome than probitics does.

Why do you think the magnesium and calcium got rid of your IBS? Did you have IBS-C or D?

Please do not think that I am not understanding of what helps people, I am looking at something deeper that is hard to express. Where it took you a few months, mine was gone in a day. It might be that if I took calcium and mag mine might have been gone in a few months or maybe a day, or maybe not at all. I only used magnesium and it had no effect on my IBS-D.

While we are both different there might be similarities in our differences. Like how we metabolized serotonin for example.

ppodhajski

I make my own lard. I love lard with sugar on slice of white bread. I also like bacon and roasted pork belly.

It does not prevent my improvement.

I do not get why people seem to be being antagonistic towards me. I have Aspregers and sometimes it makes my communication difficult and people misinterpret my intention. And I can't read between the lines. CAn you please respect my disability and know that I am trying?

I was not saying that eating lard or fish would stop or start any one's IBS. I just said that PROBIOTICS will probably not work because fatty acids play a larger role effecting the gut microbiome. It could be that fixing IBS might mean some people need more lard and some people need less.

Can you just delete this post? It is obvious I could not communicate what I wanted to. I apologize and will try harder next time.

I was not suggesting people eat lard, I was suggesting that possbility that dietary fats play a greater role changing the microbiome than probitics does.

Why do you think the magnesium and calcium got rid of your IBS? Did you have IBS-C or D?

Does it matter. I took mg and ca my Ibs went away. Maybe it has nothing to do with anything. All I know is that I no longer have IBD -- that's all I care about. I don't expect that anybody else to have the same results. Maybe that was all I needed or maybe it was coincidence.

Please do not think that I am not understanding of what helps people, I am looking at something deeper that is hard to express. Where it took you a few months, mine was gone in a day. It might be that if I took calcium and mag mine might have been gone in a few months or maybe a day, or maybe not at all. I only used magnesium and it had no effect on my IBS-D.

I have never heard of IBS cured in a day -- sounds like a misdiagnosis.

While we are both different there might be similarities in our differences. Like how we metabolized serotonin for example.
Serotonin probably has nothing to do with it for me -- of that I have proof. Embrace the differences of others.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The body is a very complex environment @ppodhajski . It's possible that there are a number of pathways to the same illness where different things go wrong and require different treatment regimes. Also I think the reverse can be true. the same pathway can have problems at various different points leading to a variety of different issues.

As Kina pointed out then the issue of personal genetics comes into play. I'm sure it's even more complex than I have portrayed making the possibility of many and varied possible symptom outcomes and treatment modalities. It's good you found what worked for you.

If you look long enough here at the various threads you'll see that people have tried to reproduce others results without success.

ppodhajski

Does it matter. I took mg and ca my Ibs went away. Maybe it has nothing to do with anything. All I know is that I no longer have IBD -- that's all I care about. I don't expect that anybody else to have the same results. Maybe that was all I needed or maybe it was coincidence.

I have never heard of IBS cured in a day -- sounds like a misdiagnosis.

Serotonin probably has nothing to do with it for me -- of that I have proof. Embrace the differences of others.

Maybe you were misdignosed? Yes, I am being snarky, but I feel that is demeaning to me. My GI doc was pretty sure I had IBS-D and I was at a University Research Hospital, UNC Chapel Hill. He said I strongly fit the Rome Criteria for the diagnosis and an examination showed no lesions.

If you never heard of it cured in a day maybe I am on to something? I understand the doubt but I am asking that you look at the science I am tagging my posts with.

What I am saying is that taking FMN, a form of B2 ended my IBS-D in one day BUT it was not that alone. I was already on a low amine diet. I am trying to show the science of why I think that happened. Why instead of being happy for me are you being antagonistic?

And it does matter why to me. Because if we can find out why it goes away we have a mechanism we can examine and then we can help others.

I look at magnesium and I see low levels decreases serotonin.
https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/magnesium

And it does not have to only do with serotonin release, but the receptors as well:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503665/

So thanks for telling me your story because it give me a better idea that serotonin issues are at the coree of IBS.

ppodhajski

I meant to ask as well. What is your proof that serotonin has nothing to do with your IBS? I am asking in all honesty since this will help me.

ppodhajski

The body is a very complex environment @ppodhajski . It's possible that there are a number of pathways to the same illness where different things go wrong and require different treatment regimes. Also I think the reverse can be true. the same pathway can have problems at various different points leading to a variety of different issues.

As Kina pointed out then the issue of personal genetics comes into play. I'm sure it's even more complex than I have portrayed making the possibility of many and varied possible symptom outcomes and treatment modalities. It's good you found what worked for you.

If you look long enough here at the various threads you'll see that people have tried to reproduce others results without success.

I can only assume that people think that I do not know that there are several gene and environmental factors is because I am not communicating this well or they are not understanding.

I am looking at the personal genetics and showing the personal genetics. I am looking at different peoples genetics. There are several wasy serotonin can be off in the body, yes, but serotonin can be traced back to many disorders. So if I know the many ways serotonin levels can be changed by changing diet or taking supplements, that will be helpful to everyone when they look at there genes.

Maybe the reason why people tried and failed is because they are doing exactly the opposite of what I am doing. I am showing how we can all look at our personal genome and based on that change our diet and use vitamin cofactors to create a PERSONAL treatment. I am doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you think I am doing. It is not that I found what worked for me that is important, it is how I think I can find out what will work for YOU and everyone else that is important.

The fact that I found what worked for me is important is because I did it only by knowing my genetics.