• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

question for those on abx for bartonella

Aerose91

Are there any supplements to avoid while on the abx? Soon I'll be starting rifampin and minocycline but I forgot to ask my doctor this question and he's waaay too expensive for me to go back to just to ask this.
As you know, we tend to take a lot of supp.s so I'm wondering if there are any to watch out for. Curcumin? Coq10? Methylation supps? etc.

Thanks for any help.

Vojta

Just don't take any mineral supplements (Mg, Ca, Fe..) and dairy products with mino. Taking them apart 2-3h should be fine. I took same combination 2 years ago. I don't remember any other special precautions.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Are there any supplements to avoid while on the abx?
With Rifampin avoid milk thistle and be aware that taking it for a long time can lower your cortisol levels alarmingly. You might want to get the 24 hour cortisol test after taking it for a while. I eventually had to stop it because of low cortisol.

Aerose91

With Rifampin avoid milk thistle and be aware that taking it for a long time can lower your cortisol levels alarmingly. You might want to get the 24 hour cortisol test after taking it for a while. I eventually had to stop it because of low cortisol.

Wow, that's good to know since before even getting ME I had severe adrenal fatigue which still persists today. I do saliva cortisol tests a couple times a year so I'm probably do one before starting and then again once on them. Thanks.

Aerose91

Just don't take any mineral supplements (Mg, Ca, Fe..) and dairy products with mino. Taking them apart 2-3h should be fine. I took same combination 2 years ago. I don't remember any other special precautions.

Did you see any improvements with it?