• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal test

naoise

hi

I just got my test results and the morning one came back very very high at >110.

These are the results:
Sample 1: >110
Sample 2: 12.69
Sample 3: 6.62
Sample 4: 3.31

What does that high morning one mean? I'm presuming being that high cannot be good!

naoise

@Ema The reference ranges are:
7.25-32.56
2.76-11.31
1.28-7.45
0.83-3.85

The lab was Genova diagnostics

naoise

It's strange!

I find I get exhausted at around 3 onwards but then it picks up again at around 8/9.

Is there anything inca do to help? Diet, supplements etc?

Ema

@Ema The reference ranges are:
7.25-32.56
2.76-11.31
1.28-7.45
0.83-3.85

The lab was Genova diagnostics
OK, so you're too high at *all* points of the day.

Is there any chance that the sample could have been contaminated?

Do you fit the profile for high cortisol, more so than low cortisol (realizing that there are some overlapping symptoms)?
http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2011/9/Reducing-the-Risks-of-High-Cortisol/Page-01

I agree that it would be worthwhile to do a second test, possibly with a different company like Canary Club/ZRT, to confirm the results before embarking on a program to reduce cortisol levels.

There are many things you can do to address high cortisol, both supplements and lifestyle changes to reduce stress. But I think it's important to make sure that the results are replicable first.

naoise

@Ema probabky yes in that u have constancy sugar and carbohydrate cravings and cannot go more than a few days without sugar or a carb binge it's horrible.

JaimeS

A drop at 3pm is something that a lot of people experience. Totally non-research-oriented answer, but I consider it a sign of terrible fatigue. I also pick up in the evening. Not uncommon.

Your lab results, however, are uncommon. I second a re-test! That is crazy high.

-J

naoise

Maybe but I have got a lot of tests done with this lab and I would trust them.

JaimeS

I'm not saying that the lab is a bad lab. I'd even say get it done by the same people. Anyone can accidentally contaminate a sample.... if it still says the same thing, you'll know for sure that something's up.

Ema

Maybe but I have got a lot of tests done with this lab and I would trust them.
All labs can make mistakes though and it's possible that the samples got contaminated somehow. It's not a dig at Genova.

They might even cut you a deal on a second test (though I'd really suggest a different company) if your doctor requests a confirmation redo.

drob31

No results surprise me now. If there is *something* messing with your hpa-axis, it can literally go haywire. Hyper or hypo sensitive.

Also keep in mind, any sort of stress, or hpa-axis activation will spike your cortisol, and if it was spiked at that particular time, you could consider that abnormal.