• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does KDM worry that long term abx for Lyme treatment may be bad for the gut?

anniekim

I know KDM believes me/cfs patients often a lot of gut problems. With this in mind, I also know he treats Lyme if indicated. Would long term antibiotics for the Lyme not cause problems with the gut? What are his thoughts on this? Is it he believes though long term antibiotics may have a negative effect on gut flora, treating the Lyme is the most important? Does he recommend anything whilst taking long term antibiotics to help with gut flora? Many thanks in advance

cman89

I know KDM believes me/cfs patients often a lot of gut problems. With this in mind, I also know he treats Lyme if indicated. Would long term antibiotics for the Lyme not cause problems with the gut? What are his thoughts on this? Is it he believes though long term antibiotics may have a negative effect on gut flora, treating the Lyme is the most important? Does he recommend anything whilst taking long term antibiotics to help with gut flora? Many thanks in advance
I dont know about KDM but I have always taken probiotics after antibiotic treatment.

anniekim

Thanks. Does he suggest to take this concurrently? I ask whether at the same time as I thought with Lyme the antibiotics are taken long term so any probiotics would have to be taken at the same time, though appreciate this means some may be killed by the abx

Vojta

Yes, he prescribes probiotics even during course of oral abx therapy. You take them between doses of abx to increase chance they survive.
He also does stool test to assess condition of gut. I think he knows about impact on gut but without abx treatment it's impossible to treat late stage lyme. Also some abx impacts gut microflora less than others and he rotates them.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
He did not prescribe me any probioitcs when he prescribed oral abx. I asked him about this and he said to take them after a 6 month course.

Does he give probiotics accordingly after a gut stool test or just PA, generally?
He prescribed them to me as soon as I started antibiotics (maybe earlier?). Though I didn't have any bifido in my stool sample, so it may have partially been due to that. But anyone on oral antibiotics is going to be doing a number on their gut bacteria, and it's pretty routine to prescribe probiotics at the same time, regardless.

sarah darwins

He prescribed them to me as soon as I started antibiotics (maybe earlier?). Though I didn't have any bifido in my stool sample, so it may have partially been due to that. But anyone on oral antibiotics is going to be doing a number on their gut bacteria, and it's pretty routine to prescribe probiotics at the same time, regardless.
@LivingwithFibro

PA? ('scuse my ignorance)

RML

I think VSL is one of the better probiotics out there, even though it is expensive - I find it worth the money cos I have found it very hard to find a replacement probiotic anywhere near as good and as effective as it. I was prescribed VSL for about 2 and 1/2 or 3 months before I started antibiotics, and continued with them twice a day while on antibiotics. I don't think my gut issues are any worse after a year of abx. I did have problems before starting anyway. And the treatment was necessary. Like @Valentijn my results came back lacking any bifobacterium.

Gotcha! :)
@LivingwithFibro

PA? ('scuse my ignorance)

Prescript assist, soil based bacteria. Best on the market or so I hear...
I think VSL is one of the better probiotics out there, even though it is expensive - I find it worth the money cos I have found it very hard to find a replacement probiotic anywhere near as good and as effective as it. I was prescribed VSL for about 2 and 1/2 or 3 months before I started antibiotics, and continued with them twice a day while on antibiotics. I don't think my gut issues are any worse after a year of abx. I did have problems before starting anyway. And the treatment was necessary. Like @Valentijn my results came back lacking any bifobacterium.

What's VSL? :)
Sorry I haven't read the thread, I'm considering treatment with KDM...are you his patient?

RML

VSL#3 is a name of a probiotic that KDM prescribed me and many others. However, I think it has recently changed names ( I should have mentioned that in last post but completely forgot). My brain is not working too well at all today so I can't recall it but think the new name goes by Vivomixx or something similiar. I will get back to you when my memory decides to work!

VSL#3 is a name of a probiotic that KDM prescribed me and many others. However, I think it has recently changed names ( I should have mentioned that in last post but completely forgot). My brain is not working too well at all today so I can't recall it but think the new name goes by Vivomixx or something similiar. I will get back to you when my memory decides to work!
Take your time, I appreciate it. I wonder if it's similar to PA.

Daffodil

KDM changes antibiotics every few months to avoid gut flora issues too.

From CortJohnson's website:

"Dr. De Meirlier agreed that broad-spectrum antibiotics could be harmful, but the careful but long-term application of narrowly focused antibiotics targeted at a specific pathogen can be very helpful."

Read more: Treatment and Hope: Dr. De Meirleir on 20 Years of Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the Hope for the Future http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...fatigue-syndrome-and-the-hope-for-the-future/

sarah darwins

This the one?

http://shop.vivomixx.eu/en/

I haven't been able to get VSL#3 in the Netherlands for many months now. The pharmacy can't get it, and the regional distributor does not reply to emails. I tried registering on the VSL european site, but it won't let me.

I ordered from the Vivomixx site on Friday, and so far all seems to be going well. It was shipped today, and should be here within a couple days. They ship it with cold packs, since it can't get over 25 Celsius. They also responded very quickly when I emailed a question about an outdated notice which was included in the confirmation email.

But Vivomixx and VSL#3 definitely seem to be the same thing.