• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Scheibenbogen Study - IgGs and SNPs.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Conclusion
Our results indicate a relationship of COMT polymorphism rs4680 with immune dysregulation in CFS providing a potential link for the association between stress and infection susceptibility in CFS.

Interesting.

msf

I guess the question is, what is causing the increased levels of cortisol in the ME/CFS patients with COMT mutations?

I think it's a case of comparing enough things until something shows up. It looks like being Met/Met homozygous for rs4680 resulted in significantly higher cortisol when compared to the heterozygous type, but not when compared alone to the other Val/Val homozygous type. And the mean values were the same for the IgE types, but they're making a big deal out of high out-liers in a combined Met/Met and Met/Val group while sort of ignoring that there were a ton of very low values as well.

On the plus side, the patients had both CCC and Fukuda ME/CFS.

But overall, I don't think they've found anything of particular interest, if anything at all.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The findings aren't necessarily 'wrong', just not relevant with respect to ME...

The Met/Met allele association with higher cortisol is interesting, but lack of specificity or sensitivity of this finding as a predictor of CFS is a problem. Likewise for the other findings...

bertiedog

I'll be honest I am not really understanding this too well but I do know that my result was AA which equates to Val/Val which I don't understand! Can anyone enlighten me?

BTW I have extremely low cortisol, almost Addison's level and am on 6mg Pred daily and I also have a rubbish immune system and pick up frequent viruses.

Pam

I'll be honest I am not really understanding this too well but I do know that my result was AA which equates to Val/Val which I don't understand! Can anyone enlighten me?
There's not anything you can conclude about that, based on the study. Like @Snow Leopard said, there's not really any relevance to ME/CFS. And there's not any direct relevance to the genotypes either.