• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 - manufacture and finding 'safe' versions

Plum

Does anyone know of B12 supplements made not using the process described here:

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database/ingredients/200.vitamin_b12.html

I know there are food sources, for example; liver, chlorella, spirulina but none of them give the kinds of doses I'd get via B12 injections and they all rely on me having good intrinsic factor (which I don't).

I am reluctant to go for mass produced B12 as it appears it is all made from bacteria which are genetically engineered and fed on GM crops. I understand the necessity for this and the science behind it but am still reluctant.

Does anyone know of or use a non genetically modified or engineered version of B12 or know of an organic variety?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Garden of Life makes an organic B-12 (Garden of Life Kind Organics B-12). I have not tried it.

Tammy

You might look into Global healing liquid B-12............the guy who sells it is very particular......but don't know if its what you are looking for

Does anyone know of B12 supplements made not using the process described here:

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database/ingredients/200.vitamin_b12.html

I know there are food sources, for example; liver, chlorella, spirulina but none of them give the kinds of doses I'd get via B12 injections and they all rely on me having good intrinsic factor (which I don't).

I am reluctant to go for mass produced B12 as it appears it is all made from bacteria which are genetically engineered and fed on GM crops. I understand the necessity for this and the science behind it but am still reluctant.

Does anyone know of or use a non genetically modified or engineered version of B12 or know of an organic variety?

You can get pure Methylcobalamin from Oxford Biosciences.

It comes in 20 mg powdered form which you then mix with 10 ml of Saline. I draw this up in 1ml Insulin syringes and inject Subcutaneously. Oxford Biosciences are recommended by the Pernicious Anaemia society of GB (UK).

http://oxfordbiosciences.com/vitamin-b12/

Plum

You can get pure Methylcobalamin from Oxford Biosciences.

It comes in 20 mg powdered form which you then mix with 10 ml of Saline. I draw this up in 1ml Insulin syringes and inject Subcutaneously. Oxford Biosciences are recommended by the Pernicious Anaemia society of GB (UK).

http://oxfordbiosciences.com/vitamin-b12/
Methylcobalamin isn't recommended for most with methylation issues. Also I would be surprised if from GMO free sources but thanks for the suggestion. You can get injection B12 that's not too expensive on private prescription.

Methylcobalamin isn't recommended for most with methylation issues. Also I would be surprised if from GMO free sources but thanks for the suggestion. You can get injection B12 that's not too expensive on private prescription.

How would I go about getting the MB12 on private prescription? I like the idea of self mixing as I know I am only adding saline and also for freshness.

Plum

You need to see a private Dr! If you had your 23andme done, there's a host of free info about best forms of B12 to use etc available which really helps. A lot of us are sensitive to additional methyl groups. The issues I was trying to raise in this post is that most if not all B12 is manufactured using genetically modified ingredients as well as genetically modified organisms to produce the B12. I personally prefer to steer clear of GMO which is almost impossible with supplements but there are a few options available after A LOT of research.

You need to see a private Dr! If you had your 23andme done, there's a host of free info about best forms of B12 to use etc available which really helps. A lot of us are sensitive to additional methyl groups. The issues I was trying to raise in this post is that most if not all B12 is manufactured using genetically modified ingredients as well as genetically modified organisms to produce the B12. I personally prefer to steer clear of GMO which is almost impossible with supplements but there are a few options available after A LOT of research.

Thanks so much @Plum - I think I will get the 23andMe. If anything it will tell me what type of B12 I can use. I'll also look into the private Dr thing.

garyfritz

You need to see a private Dr! If you had your 23andme done, there's a host of free info about best forms of B12 to use etc available which really helps.
@Plum, what free info are you referring to? I've gotten my 23andMe reports but interpreting them is confusing. I have determined by trial and error that I need huge doses of adenosylB12 and methylB12, but I would rather have some clear roadmap that says "if you have X and Y SNPS you need Z." I haven't seen that anywhere.

Plum

@Plum, what free info are you referring to? I've gotten my 23andMe reports but interpreting them is confusing. I have determined by trial and error that I need huge doses of adenosylB12 and methylB12, but I would rather have some clear roadmap that says "if you have X and Y SNPS you need Z." I haven't seen that anywhere.

You can put your data through these:

http://geneticgenie.org/

https://www.knowyourgenetics.com/

livewello is another good 1 but you have to pay for it and then do work yourself. It all depends on what you're after. If it's basic methylation, I think Yasko gives good free advice on your data.

garyfritz

Thanks, I had forgotten about KYG. GG deciphers the 23andme gibberish, but doesn't give you any "so what do I do about it" advice. I'll look through the KYG results again.