• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

could bacterial sinus infection trigger old viral infections?

el_squared

Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed with a bacterial sinus infection, and I'm pretty confident that is what it is, because it was diagnosed through a culture and a specific bacterium was found.

However, I'm wondering if this kind of infection can kick up my CFS problems, trigger the resurfacing of my old viral infections (epstein barr, etc.). Because whenever I get a sinus infection, it is way, way harder to get rid of than a normal person. I'm so fatigued and for so long, often for months. I'm awaiting more immune function tests from a cfs clinic -- hopefully that will shed more light on this, but meantime I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems.

thanks,
Laura

alkt

Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed with a bacterial sinus infection, and I'm pretty confident that is what it is, because it was diagnosed through a culture and a specific bacterium was found.

However, I'm wondering if this kind of infection can kick up my CFS problems, trigger the resurfacing of my old viral infections (epstein barr, etc.). Because whenever I get a sinus infection, it is way, way harder to get rid of than a normal person. I'm so fatigued and for so long, often for months. I'm awaiting more immune function tests from a cfs clinic -- hopefully that will shed more light on this, but meantime I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems.

thanks,
Laura
unfortunately many people with m.e/cfs have your problem shifting new infections. i have had problems with my sinuses on and off more on for most of the last 23 years starting with bacterial infection and the supposedly seasonal rhinitus. i find the vicks inhaler is a lot of help and is relatively cheap considering it can relieve the blocked stuffy feeling with regular use over many months. and paracetamol helps a lot with the sinus pain. hope you find this helpful.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
When I came down with CFS in the early years I had chronic bacterial sinus infections. My doctors put me on several courses of antibiotics, the last and most potent antibiotic was Augmentin.

My allergy doc told me that chronic sinus infections were a sign of allergies being out of control so she recommended allergy shots and avoidance of all the usual allergens such as dust mites, pollen, grasses, etc.

So I started allergy shots but since that takes a year or so to really work, I eventually went to a naturopath who gave me the right supplements to finally get rid of the bacterial sinus infections. It was so long ago I don't remember what the supplements were, but they worked.

While I had the sinus infections my CFS did feel a lot worse and I felt more flu-ish. Your body can only stand so much.

Based on my experience, what I would suggest is (1) seeing an allergist who can evaluate your need for immunotherapy (allergy shots) and (2) seeing who a naturopath who can help you get rid of the bacterial sinus infection.