• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-Complex, which brand? And can you open them up?

Hi Guys.

I have a Douglas laboratories brand B-complex, and it has high amounts of B-6 which I'm afraid might be too strong for me at the moment.

I was wondering if I can open up the capsule and take 1/2? Would I be getting exactly half of all the b-vitamins or would I end up getting only some b-vitamins, because of the way the vitamins are distributed throughout the powder.

I was recommended Innate B-complex by my herbalist because it's food based and wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

What B-complex brand do you guys use?

Thanks.

Critterina

I use B-Healthy by Answers from Nature. I switched from B Healthy by Emerald Laboratories because Answers had more niacinamide. Used Thorne and others, but personally prefer both of these.

As for food based, I'm going to come back and edit this post to include a reference to a discussion about food based vitamins, instead of addressing it again.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-swollen-ankles-lower-legs.38097/#post-608311
So, we got a bit off-topic from the original post, but the discussion of splitting capsules and food-based vs. synthetic started there. Hope it's helpful.

Last edited:

Wayne

ahmo

I use Swanson's coenzymated B Complex. I split them, use 1/2 AM, midday. (using a capsule-making device, about 20" for 30 caps.) I've looked for others that meet my requirements, but haven't found them, so pay the extra costs of ordering from Swanson instead of iherb. I was excited to see @Wayne's reference above, but it has folic acid, so not for me.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I see some of your B-complex have a form of folic acid; I assume you guys don't have a problem with it converting into folate.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Wayne i gag at the idea if a b complex because of the taste and smell. How's this?

Also it's on subscribe and save so cheaper.

Oh folic acid. No good for me

PeterPositive

Interesting! I thought that acesulfame (E950) wasn't allowed in Europe. (I don't tolerate it, but otherwise, that looks like an interesting brand.)
Actually, the EU has re-evaluated the acesulfame and concluded that it's not toxic.
http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out52_en.pdf

I recently started using a sublingual, co-enzymated B Complex, and have been getting some very good (excellent actually) results.

Source Naturals Coenzymate B Complex Orange, 120 Tablets

Price: $19.98 ($0.17 / Count) & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details
That's a good product.
I've been taking it for a year and a 1/2 but in retrospect it has probably contributed to my high level of unmetabolized folic acid.

Even 1 year after having dropped it I still had pretty high values :(

PeterPositive

@Wayne i gag at the idea if a b complex because of the taste and smell. How's this?

Also it's on subscribe and save so cheaper.

Oh folic acid. No good for me
The taste is great. Certainly the best sublingual B complex I've found.
But yeah, folic acid :(
People with the 677 mutation of the MTHFR gene should stay away.

I use Swanson's coenzymated B Complex. I split them, use 1/2 AM, midday. (using a capsule-making device, about 20" for 30 caps.) I've looked for others that meet my requirements, but haven't found them, so pay the extra costs of ordering from Swanson instead of iherb. I was excited to see @Wayne's reference above, but it has folic acid, so not for me.

Are capsules necessary? I just dump half in my mouth and either let it dissolve in my mouth or just wash it down with water.