• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amateur guide to UK Disability Discrimination

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
A virtual friend of mine (met through Open University) has produced a guide for disabled people in the UK to sue service providers. It looks like a really complex and exhausting process, and the guide may help people here to decide whether or not they can go or should through with such action, as well as getting invaluable tips on how to do it.

It can be downloaded from this page.

taniaaust1

Anyone wanting to sue for terrible treatment, watch out in case your laws have exceptions for services provided by the states government services eg if trying to sue a gov org. I cant sue my states disability service (Sth Aust) for discrimination (they refuse to accept ME/CFS is a disability) cause when I tried too, it was only at that point once it was already going through court system did I found out they were excempt due to clause (they can refuse a person with ME/CFS any support services who cant even leave their bed and who's health is in danger and get away with it).

No idea about what is in your English laws around this but it wouldn't surprise me if there also was something hidden there in your laws too, to prevent people sueing the state for not providing services people desperately need.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Anyone wanting to sue for terrible treatment, watch out in case your laws have exceptions for services provided by the states government services eg if trying to sue a gov org. I cant sue my states disability service (Sth Aust) for discrimination (they refuse to accept ME/CFS is a disability) cause when I tried too, it was only at that point once it was already going through court system did I found out they were excempt due to clause (they can refuse a person with ME/CFS any support services who cant even leave their bed and who's health is in danger and get away with it).

No idea about what is in your English laws around this but it wouldn't surprise me if there also was something hidden there in your laws too, to prevent people sueing the state for not providing services people desperately need.

I think that Doug has looked into it very systematically and methodically - he has spent a lot of time working on this, so as to help people to avoid such pitfalls and others. He also has direct experience of suing various bodies.

BTW, maybe 'virtual friend' isn't quite the right expression - sounds as though he doesn't exist! It's probably an age thing, but I don't feel comfortable calling someone a friend if I haven't met them in person.

I've known him for years through an Open University student society. He is a very active campaigner on a range of issues.

mermaid

Thank you MeSci. That looks most interesting.

Having just spent months trying to help for my adult son with severe mental illness to get support at his home, this is the kind of thing I like to keep on file.

Who knows, I might need it for myself one day....

snowathlete

A virtual friend of mine (met through Open University) has produced a guide for disabled people in the UK to sue service providers. It looks like a really complex and exhausting process, and the guide may help people here to decide whether or not they can go or should through with such action, as well as getting invaluable tips on how to do it.

It can be downloaded from this page.
Only taken a glance at it, but it looks thorough. I currently have no issues but I know that could change all of a sudden so this may come in handy one day. Thanks for sharing!