• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poem: Worst Day Ever?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
This poem is strikingly negative at first, but please read to the end and follow the instruction about reading it again from the bottom to the top. If you're having a bad day, week, year... with CFS/ME, try to take Ms. Gorkin's message to heart and hopefully, in time, your mood will soon turn around and head in a better direction, like this poem.

Worst Day Ever?
By Chanie Gorkin

Today was the absolute worst day ever
And don't try to convince me that
There's something good in every day
Because, when you take a closer look,
This world is a pretty evil place.
Even if
Some goodness does shine through once in a while
Satisfaction and happiness don't last.
And it's not true that
It's all in the mind and heart
Because
True happiness can be attained
Only if one's surroundings are good
It's not true that good exists
I'm sure you can agree that
The reality
Creates
My attitude
It's all beyond my control
And you'll never in a million years hear me say
Today was a very good day

Now read it from bottom to top, the other way,
And see what I really feel about my day.

Originally from:
www.poetrynation.com/poem.php?id=50509

A web search for "Chanie Gorkin Poem" (without quotes) leads to more information about her (she's a high-school student), and the popularity of her poem.

barbc56

I just saw this on Facebook. I really like this poem.

Thanks!

Barb

ETA Unfortunately, there are some things beyond our control and if only life were this simple. But I do love the sentiment. It boggles the mind that this was written by a high school student. Someone to keep an eye out for future endeavers. :)

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Unfortunately, there are some things beyond our control and if only life were this simple. But I do love the sentiment.

A positive attitude can work wonders for life in general, and I often find good in bad situations. But at times when my body is going horribly wrong my brain just can't seem to generate the chemicals that are required to feel positive. When I encounter certain sensory triggers my mood can flip from just fine to quite negative within a single second. It has nothing to do with my attitude toward life and everything to do with my brain. Some kind of chemical release, or partial brain seizure, or something else I currently have no control over except to avoid the triggers.

For me, this poem is something that can be inspiring when times are good and remembered when my mind and brain just aren't capable of feeling positive. Something to hold onto until the dark mood passes.

Ecoclimber

I don't know if anyone has read or heard about Havard researcher Shawn Achor regarding happiness. His research dispels some of the long held beliefs concerning happiness. Bascially, the long held belief or premise is that happiness is based on the future instead of the present and relates to your enviroment, surroundings or future events...if I buy a new car, if I get this job, if I get a promotion etc. Your happiness factor in each of those scenarios only last for 90 days. Some of the poorest people in the world are the happiest whereas some of the richest people in the world are saddest.

He points to Hollywood couples who have all the fame, money and recognition, yet have the highest divorce rate and constant drug issues. He best explains his research at a Tedx Talk here: Happy Secret at Tedx Talk

Discussion concerning Happiness factor
Only 10 percent of our long-term happiness is predicted by the external world; 90 percent of our long-term happiness is thus how our brain processes the external world. This is why we find people at the same job who are positive and love their work, and others see it as drudgery and stress. This is why some people love being single and others cannot stand it. The external world does not predict your happiness, which is a freeing scientific realization about how much control you actually have over your happiness.
When will I be happy

Chronic Ilness
Achieving Happiness Despite Everyday Challenges

Some of this may help.

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Relying on externals as a source of happiness is temporary and fragile. It can't last. Letting go of externals is a core part of the Buddhist path to lasting happiness.

A fragment from the following article by the Buddhist monk Thanissaro:
"Material things and social relationships are unstable and easily affected by forces beyond our control, so the happiness they offer is fleeting and undependable. But the well-being of a well-trained mind can survive even aging, illness, and death. To train the mind, though, requires time and energy. This is one reason why the pursuit of true happiness demands that we sacrifice some of our external pleasures."
www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/candy.html